1999 Nissan Primera Sport+ 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An engineers car built for driving enjoyment

Central door locking actuator became noisy, replaced under warranty.

General Comments:

Looks elegant and distinctive, but quite colour sensitive - silver, red, light blue metallic are OK, dark colours kill the looks.

Very well equipped, even has gas discharge xenon headlamps as standard.

Handling is fantastic, steering very responsive and nicely weighted. Ride is firm around town but the car is wonderfully surefooted when flying down country roads. Inspired enormous confidence, much better than other vehicles of this size eg. Avensis, Vectra.

Engine performance is OK, but not actually better than other 2.0 vehicles. The time is made up in the bends!

Build quality and the feeling of durability is good, I have friends with old Primeras which have 100,000 plus mile on them and they're good, which is reassuring.

Braking performance is also superb, with brake assist as standard.

Seats are very supportive and grip well.

Overall, a separate and distinctive choice which is great fun to drive and well engineered, but discreet enough to avoid plod's attention.

Excellent value nearly new with the 3 year warranty.

Review Date: 17th February, 2001

25th Jan 2004, 13:07

My Primera sport+ is silver and 4 door with cvt6. It's a superb car. Reliable and so different to drive. Perfect in automatic and lethal in 3rd gear (no clutch).

It's the best vehicle I've owned. Well done Nissan!

27th Mar 2004, 18:49

I agree that this is an excellent car to own and drive, whether it's doing the slow plod off to drop the children at school or whether it is out on the open winding roads.

The CVT automatic is pleasant, smooth and sedate when driven gently, but can give a quick response when needed, however knock the lever over into tiptronic manual and the car takes on a whole new personality - very quick and responsive, quick through the close ration six-speed tiptronic gearbox and extremely nimble and surefooted on the bends.

The looks of this car are more subtle than "boy racer", so it is only if you know your Nissans that you will realise you are looking at a wolf in sheep's clothing.

This is definitely a driver's car.

19th Feb 2005, 12:33

I got my primera sport+ estate last October and I'm still smilling. its in silver was one company owner driver done 96000 miles and drives fantastic.

I was always into large engined cars because I like the over taking power of v6/v8s, but I have to admit this car is every bit as much fun as anything else I've driven.

I would recommend one to anyone and don't be put off by high millage just make sure its been serviced and you to will join the primera sport smile high club.

Last words buy and enjoy... A Benson.

3rd Jan 2009, 17:18

My Primera Sport+ has done 105k and still feels tight and secure. It's regularly serviced by myself (not difficult for anyone who knows one end of a spanner from the other). She starts first time every time, and the only thing I found, is the rear wiper not like cold weather.

I often travel 180 ish miles to my mums in Wales, along some lovely fast (speed limits observed officer honestly) A roads. My previous car was a Rover 620ti, and I could usually make the journey in about 4 hours. Thanks to Primera`s excellent grip and confidence inspiring road handling, I am now down to 3 1\2 hours, and once completed it in 3 hours 15 minutes, despite being 60hp down on the Rover.

I think a special concession should be made by insurance companies for new drivers who choose a Primera Sport; they are so safe and forgiving, with superb ABS brakes if you leave it too late (or looking at girlfriends legs/cleavage). It has plenty of power to get you out of trouble, and handling and poise only an offspring of The Stig could find lacking.

1999 Nissan Primera GX 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Don't buy one of these cars

Lights failed, brake problems, tyre wear, paint problems.

General Comments:

Harsh and uncomfortable ride, excessive road noise, fussy auto box, poor and flimsy build quality, generally disappointing.

Not a car I can look forward to driving, feels more like a washing machine.

Also poor attititude from the main dealer to the point of being aggressive and argumentative.

I would not buy another Nissan. I heard in Nissan circles that it's known as a 'plastic pig', I can see why.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2001

5th Feb 2001, 11:32

I don't agree, I have owned five Japanese cars before and they all drove superbly and were reliable. The best car I ever owned was a 1986 Nissan Laurel C32, it was superb. This isn't even in the same league, even my old Rover 820 was a better car. I don't know if it's because it's made in England or not, but I certainly wouldn't buy another Primera.