2003 Oldsmobile Alero Base 2.2 Ecotec from North America

Summary:

Great simple car that needs regular maintenance

Hub bearings, hub bearings, hub bearings!!! You've got to get those replaced regularly after you pass 65,000.

Ignition switch has to be replaced too.

General Comments:

Engine and tranny are fine. Other than the continuous hub bearing problem and the ignition, this car does not need much upkeep.

It's pretty good on gas. I had the 4 cylinder model, so it got 30 on the highway, 20 in the city. You have to regularly change the front brake pads as this car is a front engined heavy car.

The car always turned on, no matter how cold it was outside. The A/C unit sucks up a lot of power, so the engine will be a little hesitant to move when you've got the A/C on.

In conclusion, this is a great car to drive around from point A to point B. Not the best choice if you want a flashy car.

Review Date: 24th August, 2014

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 V6 from North America

Summary:

Love it

My Alero honestly has been one of my best cars. In fact we have 2 of them. One is a 2003, and the other is a 2004, and I would not get rid of them for anything.

The 2003 has 205k miles on it, and the only thing I have ever done to it was change the fuel pump, and it still runs to this day like a champ.

The life of your car depends on how often service was done to it. I have always got my oil changed 1000 before it was due, since day one.

The 2004 has 150k, and the only thing done to that one was a new radiator. If I could buy a brand new one, I would, but unfortunately they don't make Oldsmobile or Pontiac anymore.

I would give this car a 5 star rating.

General Comments:

The seats are nice and still good.

Handles amazing in the snow, and I've done research that shows they hold up very good in accidents.

Review Date: 3rd April, 2011

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 2.2 ecotec from North America

Summary:

Worst car to be ever manufactured

Wheel bearings have to be replaced every 3-5000 kms.

Brakes have to be replaced every month or two.

Keys will not come out of ignition most of the time.

When it rains, the driver's side fills with water and also leaks onto the fuse panel, which sometimes causes the car to not start.

General Comments:

This car is the worst car I have ever owned.

This car gives poor fuel economy.

I guess that's why GM closed out Oldsmobile, because of the garbage they made, such as the Alero.

Review Date: 9th March, 2011

9th Mar 2011, 15:54

Are you taking your car to the same shop all the time?

What make me wonder, is that you complain about bad fuel economy, and at the same time you complain about things that could cause elevated fuel consumption. I.e. your wheel bearing going bad and your brakes are wearing out early. Maybe your brakes are binding and heating up the hub assembly, causing early demise of the wheel bearings. Maybe it needs an alignment too. Ask around if there is a good independent mechanic in your area, and explain to him (in a calm and friendly tone of voice) what's happening with your car.

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL V6 from North America

Summary:

Great car for the money

My wife and I have enjoyed our Olds. It's only had minor issues that over time are sure to happen.. i.e. Driver's door window switch needs replaced. Rear defrost is not currently working.

It handles wonderfully, and has more power than it really needs. I change the oil every 3000 miles with high mileage oil, and it consumes almost nothing.

General Comments:

Too bad they didn't make an SCCA version of this car.

I wish the sound system was nicer, but then again, I don't know what other options were available.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2010

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.2L ecotec from North America

Summary:

Wish GM still made them - no complaints!!!

Blower motor resistor fried - cost less than $35.

Passkey sensor went bad - dealer wanted $750 to fix it. I went online and found out how to disable it - security light stays on, but who cares - right?

Manual adjust seat fore/aft lever doesn't always work.

Auto trans shift lever broke - cost $45.

I have had trouble with front rotors warping - but I used to drive it like an idiot. Haven't had that problem in the last 30K.

Trans under full throttle 1-2 shifts seem soft. It's been doing it for the last 35K, so I'm not too worried.

LF ABS sensor went @ 180K - cost $85

General Comments:

I couldn't ask for a better car. I have owned it for 6+ years. The passkey problem kept me from driving it to work for two days out of six years - I can't complain really.

Performance is OK - it's a 2.2L after all. I get a consistent 29-32 mpg hwy @ 70 mph. It drops to 29 @ 80 mph.

Overall the best car yet. I'll see if I can make it to 500K. If only the tires would last forever!!

Review Date: 7th October, 2010