2003 Oldsmobile Alero from North America

Summary:

So please, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE CARS!!!

I bought my 2003 Alero in 2006 with only 40,000 KM. My first new car (well it was 2nd hand), but new from the dealers, so I was so excited.

Anyways, it is 2008 and I hate my car. Last year my car started to rust from the bottom, and also the bottom of the doors. I had a friend fix that for me.

I have this clicking sound that drives me nuts. Sounds like a fast signal light, but God it is annoying. Nobody seems to know what it is. Every mechanic tells me something different, but they all told me not to worry about it because it will not affect my car.

Today, I brought my car in for safety inspection, and I need 4 new tires that were just replaced last year. I have no treads left on the tires. I also need new brake pads, and I'm not even sure what else I need done, because they told me take it home and come back another day for inspection when I have new tires.

They felt bad for me being a single mother and having to put a rejection sticker on my car.

General Comments:

I have heard so many horror stories about Aleros after I purchased one.

The most popular complaints are wheel bearings, clicking sounds, rust and brake pads.

If I had of known all the issues with these cars, I would never have bought one.

Never again will I purchase an Alero.

Oh and one more thing, nobody bothered to tell me that they stopped making Alero's in 2006. If they had, I would not have bought one.

Review Date: 20th June, 2008

23rd Jun 2008, 17:36

Clicking sound: Big deal. Needs Tires: Every car does. And Brakes: See tires comments.

9th Jan 2010, 10:26

I thought they stopped making the Alero in 2004? What does it matter anyway? You still would've bought an old car...smh.

2003 Oldsmobile Alero from North America

Summary:

It's a comfortable drive, but the overall mechanical function really sucks

Cracked head at 70k! Luckily it was still under warranty, even though the dealership tried to say it wasn't.

My blinkers work when they feel like it.

My window regulator has broke 4 times now.

General Comments:

It's a comfortable car, it's my first car. My mom bought me one because she had a 1999. She recently sold her car because EVERYTHING started going downhill on it. I mean... She poured $3500 into it in just a year.

Review Date: 16th May, 2008

2003 Oldsmobile Alero 3.1 from North America

Summary:

It has a few things to work out... but I still love it

This car was a rental vehicle prior to me owning it, this was not revealed to me on the safety and has caused much grief.

I blame many of the problems on poor use and maintenance in the first years of its life...

Since I owned it...

Brakes been replaced (not a big deal... its maintenance)

Fuel Pump replaced.

Ignition Replaced.

New battery (Again... maintenance stuff...)

Rod pulled out of the head. (that one made me a little upset.)

Now the Rod is loose again and causing issues.

General Comments:

All in all though.

I love my car, I hope that once I get these quirks worked out it will be a good car.

I've owned 4 Oldsmobile's and I have had 150K minimum on all of them before upgrading. One of them was at 190 when the engine decided it couldn't handle a crazy 19 year old any more. (The week before it had hit 100 mph probably a bad idea with old seals. :P)

Review Date: 13th May, 2008

2003 Oldsmobile Alero GX 2.2 ECOTEC from North America

Summary:

Get rid of it

- Brake changes completely after 17K KM.

- Both front wheel bearings changed (91K KM and 105K KM).

- Fuel pump changed after 100K KM

- Clutch cylinder changed after 110K KM

- Complete clutch assembly changes after 130K KM (for $2500)

- At least 10 repairs to the windshield washer system and pump.

- Replaced both from tires after 5K KM because of excessive vibrations.

- Ventilation fan broke after 30K KM.

- Cruise control stops working randomly, problem never fixed by dealer.

- All of the radio lights stop working.

- Pumps at least 2 to 3 pints of oil between oil changes.

General Comments:

Car very unreliable, should not have been sold on the market. Poor service from the dealership; often the dealer is unable to fix the problems. Every Alero should be recalled by GM.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2008