1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

A wonderful car, I wish they still made the Cutlass

Well when I purchased the car, it needed new tires and a front end alignment.

Then the air conditioning needed to be repaired.

Then it needed new brakes.

Then the headliner was replaced.

The paint was faded, and the clear coat peeled off.

General Comments:

This is a wonderful car. I bought this in 1995 with the insurance money I got when somebody smashed into my old car and totaled it. And I have loved this car ever since.

Everything to the car is original, with the exception of the stuff mentioned, but it is set up like it originally was. I added a CD player to it, and that's it for modifications. I even have all of the original paperwork for this car that I'm keeping with it.

All in all, this car is wonderful to drive as a daily. It doesn't get the best gas mileage by today's standards, but oh well, I'd take this over any car built today anytime.

Things like the pillow top seats, the chrome trim, the locking wire wheel covers, and even the vinyl roof shows how classy American cars were back then. And I love them.

I might be buying a 1985 Buick Regal Limited soon, so this guy down my street doesn't crush it. It needs a new engine, which I can take care of that problem.

All in all, I love my Cutty, and hopefully soon will be saving a Regal too.

Review Date: 8th March, 2011

1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 3.8 ltr 231 V6 from North America

Summary:

Classic style and comfort

A/C compressor was shot.

Rear brake pads.

Carburetor needed to be rebuilt.

Drivers seat buttons had fallen off.

General Comments:

I just purchased this 1985 Cutlass Supreme with only 39K miles. The interior is very clean - headliner is still intact.

All electricals work perfectly with a little wear on the turn signal stalk and gear shifter.

I've had the A/C converted and compressor replaced, and an aftermarket stereo and speakers installed.

The rear brakes needed to be replaced and I've had new shocks installed all around. I also had the carburetor rebuilt.

The paint, vinyl top and original rally wheels are in "like new" condition.

This car was a one owner for many years until it was stolen and recovered in 2005. Since then it ended up in auction and I bought it for $2000 from an independent dealer. It's absolutely beautiful. It's become a project for me to make it a daily driver and enjoy it. I loved these cars back in the 80's, and thought they were of the most beautiful cars on the road.

The car feels heavy and solid. The 3.8 ltr V6 has great compression and runs well. It's not super fast, but competent and smooth. The car has a laid-back driving position and rides quietly and smoothly. Driving it is very nostalgic. I'm surprised that it corners pretty well for its size. I'm looking forward to getting it back to its original state and driving it regularly.

Review Date: 1st October, 2009

2nd Oct 2009, 09:24

Don't use it as a daily driver. Keep it as a collectible, which it will be before too long.

3rd Oct 2009, 15:02

If the 3.8 has a major problem down the road - which isn't unheard of - you can just slip a nice smooth old 307 V8 in there, rebuilt, for $1,200 or so.

1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 307 ci from North America

Summary:

One fast Cutlass

My ignition switch went out, and then the same day I got it fixed, I had to put in new belts and a fuel filter.

General Comments:

My Cutlass has a 307, but I put a lot of performance parts on it, so she has 410 hp and runs 7.19's in a 1/8 mile.

Review Date: 10th February, 2008

13th Feb 2008, 15:09

410 HP from a 307? You must be smoking some funny cigarettes!

17th Feb 2008, 21:37

No way!! 410 hp out of a 307.. come on!.. 210 hp maybe with lots of mods... ah well!!

18th Jul 2012, 15:13

It is possible, you can make any engine put out high HP/torque, depending on the real work you put into it, inside and out.

18th Jul 2012, 15:18

If he is running 7.19 in a 1/8 mile, it's as fast as he says. My Tahoe ran 10.0, and all it had was performance heads on it.

22nd Jul 2012, 10:30

410 HP out of an Olds 307 is possible, but you're going to have to spend a lot of money and time on it!