1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 3.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Absolute piece of junk

Just about everything.

The engine used a quart of oil with each tank of gas.

The transmission was replaced about every 9 months.

The air conditioner went bad, the brakes lasted about 20,000 miles, and it started to rust in less than 2 years.

Gas mileage was horrible for a V6.

General Comments:

It was the worst piece of junk I have ever owned. My parents had an '84 that was good, but my '85 was a total lemon. I haven't owned a GM car since.

Review Date: 25th March, 2015

25th Mar 2015, 21:28

Just get one with the V8. Or better yet, get a Delta 88.

26th Mar 2015, 14:07

Sure, let me jump in my time machine, travel back to 1985, and "get a Delta 88".

26th Mar 2015, 14:44

The car is now 30 years old. Any car that old could be a piece of junk at that point.

27th Mar 2015, 02:56

All in all, the Buick 231 V6 was a pretty strong runner and used in the carburated form in many GM cars dating back to 1975. The legendary bulletproof 3800 (series 1) was also built on the same platform.

Back in '95, my first car was an '84 Grand Prix with the 231 that I bought with 100,000 miles and drove it to 210,000. Sure, I did a few repairs with one trans. rebuild in that mileage frame. For sure not every 9 months. Something doesn't sound right about that one.

Weak points on that motor were oil pumps, which can be replaced with quality aftermarkets, and it wasn't a smooth idler.

27th Mar 2015, 03:11

You don't have to jump in a time machine; the '85 Delta 88 is a good car. There are a lot of them still on the road.

27th Mar 2015, 03:59

"First year of ownership 1985"

The car was brand new when the reviewer acquired it, hardly a 30 year old clunker.

29th Mar 2015, 03:28

Be glad the oil pump didn't tank. Many of the VIN "A" (231 V-6 with a 2-barrel DualJet carb) Buick V-6s spun rod bearings after their oil pumps wore out. Less common (but still prevalent) was oil consumption that emptied the oil pan, and wiped out the motor. Timing chain failure was also a "frequent flier".

Buick started getting serious in the mid-80s with the fuel injected V-6s. Reliability got WAY better :)

29th Mar 2015, 11:40

Look for a used one. Sure, they're classics now, and not commonplace, but you can still find them once in a while for under $5,000.

1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

A wonderful car, I wish they still made the Cutlass

Well when I purchased the car, it needed new tires and a front end alignment.

Then the air conditioning needed to be repaired.

Then it needed new brakes.

Then the headliner was replaced.

The paint was faded, and the clear coat peeled off.

General Comments:

This is a wonderful car. I bought this in 1995 with the insurance money I got when somebody smashed into my old car and totaled it. And I have loved this car ever since.

Everything to the car is original, with the exception of the stuff mentioned, but it is set up like it originally was. I added a CD player to it, and that's it for modifications. I even have all of the original paperwork for this car that I'm keeping with it.

All in all, this car is wonderful to drive as a daily. It doesn't get the best gas mileage by today's standards, but oh well, I'd take this over any car built today anytime.

Things like the pillow top seats, the chrome trim, the locking wire wheel covers, and even the vinyl roof shows how classy American cars were back then. And I love them.

I might be buying a 1985 Buick Regal Limited soon, so this guy down my street doesn't crush it. It needs a new engine, which I can take care of that problem.

All in all, I love my Cutty, and hopefully soon will be saving a Regal too.

Review Date: 8th March, 2011