1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale Pontiac 301 from North America

Summary:

A great, comfortable, classic boat

Seam of fuel tank rusted and leaked gas

Upholstrey on the roof has bubbled in some areas

Parking brake warning light stays on occasionally

Wiper delay will not work correctly

Since I replaced radio, the gauge lights will not work (must be my fault)

General Comments:

Amazingly comfortable and easy to drive! The Delta 88 I bought came with a Pontiac 301 engine, which would be unfair to talk about in this review. It was a horrible engine for this car.

Interior is very nice looking and very comfortable seating. Oldsmobile did not skimp when it came to details.

Body design looks very nice in pitch black paint!

The trunk is HUGE

My brakes are very touchy and work strong for a car this size

Cornering on a bumpy road (30+ mph) can be scary sometimes. Feels if the car is going to jump off pavement

Turning radius is big, but remember it is a big car.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2006

25th Jul 2006, 15:26

The two Delta's I've owned (an '84 and an '85) both came with a 305 or 307 Olds engine. Never seen a 301 in one of these. Great car though, they last forever and deliver both style AND performance. Hang onto that one, its gonna be a classic.

29th Jul 2006, 19:19

The Pontiac motor replaced the original 307 because of unknown reasons. Talk about a horrible combination. I couldn't even spin them on wet pavement.

29th Feb 2008, 11:28

Hey review-write here:

Gas tank was replaced with a generic one I bought off a1 auto or something like that. had to heat with acetylene torch and bend the filler neck because it was the wrong angle. undercoated it and its still in tip top shape. should've replaced the sending unit at that time.

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Brougham Royale 5.0L 307 CI from North America

Summary:

A true value for a low price

The speedometer cable is making squeaky sounds behind the dashboard.

The interior and exterior lights flicker.

The air-conditioning takes several seconds before air comes out of the vents.

General Comments:

The car has a smooth acceleration and ride.

The car has a lot of seating and trunk space.

The car is very solid and offers little road noise. The engine is virtually silent.

The car is luxurious and aesthetically pleasing.

Review Date: 18th September, 2005

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal Brougham 2d 307 V8 (5.0L) from North America

Summary:

My new low-rider, not a rice-burner

Battery went out, had a spare no problem. then the alternator went out, I thought this was going to be an ongoing problem, it wasn't. has been going OK that way. it ran rough, then I hit a HUGE rock and the whole tailpipe came off. I made my own with parts from a 1988 Mercedes-Benz 190e muffler, still ran bad. I ran off a curb and lost my homemade muffler : (. 2 days ago I paid $100 for the whole exhaust pipe and muffler and installation and it runs great and quiet now.

General Comments:

I replaced those ugly rally rims and added 100 spoke dayton wire rims and the old stereo with knobs HAD TO GO, Sony X-Plod flip face with remote, plus the seats were ripped in the front so I put a truck bench seat cover on it, looks great. the air shocks in the back are cool add air you go from - to \ but I wish there were air shocks in the from for the off road value...

Review Date: 26th May, 2005

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

Oldsmobile in general is very reliable. If you have to opportunity to buy one, do not pass it up.

The Grand Prix had a problem with the fuse box under the hood. The connection between the fuse box and the battery was very poor.

There was also a very bad head gasket leak toward the firewall. Oil went all over the engine and exhaust.

The Oldsmobile is very reliable. I paid $20.00 for a new water pump, $250.00 for an exhaust which was just for an exhaust grumble, and $25.00 for an oil change.

General Comments:

The Oldsmobile is extremely reliable. Very few things will go wrong with this car if the maintenance is not overlooked.

The Grand Prix is a sporty car with great handling and sporty potential, but it just costs too much money to keep up on maintenance.

Review Date: 7th May, 2005

8th May 2005, 16:19

Is the review about the Olds or the Pontiac?!

11th Nov 2005, 14:38

Sorry about the ad, was confused when filling out the form. THIS AD IS FOR AN OLDSMOBILE EIGHTY EIGHT FROM 1983.The Oldsmobile is a great car. I have 197,000 miles on it and it still starts up like brand new! Lately I have had to put new brake lines on the oldsmobile and tires. Very inexpensive, very low maintenance. Excellent car. This car is also very fast. Those of you who know, do indeed know.