1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0L V8 from North America

Summary:

I Loved it

Air conditioning freon has leaked out..

Engine seized (due to human error)

Upholstery on roof is bubbling.

Rear lock is sluggish.

General Comments:

Ode to my Olds...

It was my first car, big, powerful, and handled really well. The transmission NEVER needed work since we got the car. It has survived a Grand Theft Auto, and a couple of collisions, in which it took it like nothing, whereas the other car was close to totaled. This car is truly a tank and it will be missed. Just recently, due to a miscalculation on our part, when the radiator hose busted, we added some water in to replace the coolant. (we were planning on doing a full flush of the system so we didn't put any more fresh coolant in) Unfortunately it wasn't enough the engine over heated (without smoke oddly enough) and seized. Now the starter can't turn the motor and the car is dead. I was really looking forward to see this car make it to 300k, and I know for a fact it would have made it if it wasn't for this. I will always remember my Delta 88. I will always remember what it sounded like when I put the pedal to the metal. That baby could move

Review Date: 29th April, 2005

28th Jul 2008, 21:36

Oh you are so correct. My 1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 is still running and yes "tank" is a great description of this indestructible automobile. I'm still driving mine well after 400,000 miles, one new transmission, original carpet, replaced only the front seat upholstery and headliner once. We are the original owners. Only problem is getting through the smog testing. Seems every 3rd (6 years) there is a problem that needs resolution with emissions. This year it passed every section except Check Engine Light. I am reading on that issue and will try for another 50,000 miles. Best car I ever purchased! Hooray for the Oldsmobile.

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0L(307 cu. in.) from North America

Summary:

It's a great car for big car lovers

It's hard to start cold. I have to continually pump the accelerator until the engine takes off, but I haven't investigated the problem yet either. Incidentally, the temperatures were sub-zero the first week I had it.

It also needs new rear springs.

The headliner is starting to sag.

General Comments:

What a comfortable car!

It has new shocks, and it rides nice and firm as the GM large cars do. It's a smooth ride, but you still feel attached to the road.

It's a North Dakota car, so it hasn't seen much salt, so there is very little rust. The under body and gas tank are superbly clean for a 21-year-old car.

Except for the headliner, the interior is in excellent condition.

It was a steal for $800.

Review Date: 28th December, 2004

25th Jan 2005, 18:27

Just got my grandmas delta 88 for free its in pretty good condition only has 120000 miles.

30th Jul 2007, 15:47

The reason you have to tap the gas to get up to speed may be because you need a fuel pump. (CHECK) you're welcome.

21st Mar 2010, 18:56

I have a 1983 Olds Delta 88 with less than a hundred thousand on it, and it's absolutely amazing, but I recommend you change the headliner because it is gonna sag even more, and there was a lot of crap in there when I changed mine.

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 5.0 V8 from North America

Summary:

Smooth Riding Boat

The headliner just dropped.

The car likes gas.

General Comments:

This car is great. Very powerful for such a heavy car.

I love the the car feel on the road. It just floats down the road.

The seats are comfortable, but it would be nice if they reclined.

Review Date: 28th December, 2004

1983 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale 307 V8 from North America

Summary:

One of America's finest!

I replaced the water pump at about 110,000 miles, and the carb. at about 128,000.

General Comments:

What can I say? This is the best car I have ever owned. Other than the carb problems, it has never left me on the side of the road. With the new Edelbrock 600, she really moves after 60 mph, with a top speed of 130 so far. Of course this all comes at a price of about 13 miles per gallon, but it costs money to drive a decent car. My Olds even handles pretty good for a road boat, taking most sharp curves with no tire noise. But when the tires are making noise, one of the back wheels are usually off the ground. Its very comfortable, like riding on a big cloud. Also, these cars are very tough: I pulled out in front of a large 4 door Mercedes in February.. needless to say the mercedes was totalled and I fixed the Oldsmobile for under 300 dollars. So if you're tired of the trash built by auto makers today, try an Oldsmobile and you will not be disappointed. Mine has even earned her name "Eloise".

Review Date: 22nd September, 2004