1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue Reviews - Page 2 of 11

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 3.8 from North America

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1998
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

Great car, too bad GM shut them down

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

I loved this car.

Comfortable, nice looking, roomy, great stereo system.

The car drove as well as any car I have ever owned. I have had a Mustang, 2 LeSabre's and a Cutlass and many other cars. This one handled great. Dry or snowy roads. it was great.

It had the same engine as the '87 LeSabre I had, strong and reliable. I got over 200,000 miles out of the Buick.

Just like those idiots at the helm of G.M., they shut down 2 great divisions and leave junk like those rusting Chevy's on the road.

I have owned new Chevy's and some Japanese cars. I'll go Japanese again before another rust bucket like Chevy!

Look around, there are Impalas built since 2000 that are faded and rusty, a lot of them. The engines run well, but they look like a pile of rust held together by glass.

I know you Chevy people are going to disagree with me. That's OK, just send them a note and tell them to prep the bodies better and use primer.

I would still own my Intrigue, but it was stolen.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2009

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 3.8L series II V6 from North America

Model year1998
Year of manufacture1998
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 3.8L series II V6 Automatic
Previous carDodge Ram Pickup

Summary:

It will be better once everything is fixed

The first thing that went wrong was my brakes. The brake rotors went below minimal spec and created a horrible clanking noise when you applied the brakes at any speed. This was easily fixed by putting new rotors on..

Second there is a problem with misfiring, it doesn't do it all the time, but when it does do it, it's extremely annoying. I have been told that it could be bad plugs, which is difficult to check because the plug wires get stuck on and you have to cut them off. It could be a coil pack, the module under all the coil packs, or the fuel injector. Still haven't been able to find the problem.

Another problem is with the control arm bushings. Both the horizontal and vertical bushings are shot on both sides, and it also has a bad ball joint on the driver's side.

The in line fuel filter needs to be replaced every 50,000 miles or so, all the brake lines are rotting apart.

The rims look cool. They really accent the car's sleek design, but they cannot hold up to the pot holes in the highway. I recently moved to Mass to go to school, and these roads just hagger them, one has a crack on the inside of the rim.

I had to jump start the car once. In case you don't know, you have to hook to a ground like the engine lift points and the fuse box to jump this car. But ever since then, the car turns over for probably 5 seconds before it actually starts, and most recently it stopped starting all together. I hopped in it to warm it up before the drive to school, turned it over, it cranked twice and then quit on me. It's not the battery. I turn the key and you get all the lights on full, no dimming, you hear the fuel pump going, but nothing from the starter. It's either the ignition switch or the starter itself that's bad.

There is also a problem with the head lights, one low beam does not work, it has a short in the ground wire somewhere. There are also 4 blinkers in the front; two in the middle of the car, and two on the outer edge. The two on the outer edge don't flash, they just stay constant, no idea what the cause of this may be.

General Comments:

I have to admit the car did run well until the misfiring problem, it got up to 110 very fast and handled like a dream. It is a lil chilly with the leather seats, but that changes really quick. I haven't had a problem with space or anything, and I love the design.

Review Date: 27th October, 2009

23rd Jan 2010, 10:30

Yea man I agree, I just brought this 1998 Intrigue GLS and it's a dream.