2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL 3.5 from North America

Where can I start? The car was reliable for the 1st 40,000 miles, then all Hell broke loose. Crank sensor, mass air flow sensor, transmission at 50,000, water pump, power steering pump, both rear window regulators (although we never used the rear seat or windows). All regular service was done at the dealership at the recommended intervals.

My wife loved the styling and insisted we keep it much longer than I wanted. I was never comfortable in the front seats and found it to be the most uncomfortable car (large or small) I've ever ridden in.

This one car has sworn me away from GM, and I will never buy another GM product.

General Comments:

Pure junk from day one.

Review Date: 29th November, 2009

30th Nov 2009, 21:51

You got 165000 miles out of this car, be happy, and feel lucky about that.

8th Mar 2013, 19:34

Anyone who complains about getting 160,000 miles out of it, ought to have their head read, and saying that GM doesn't make a good car is not true; they make just as good a car, if not better than most oriental makes of cars, because the Japanese are getting just as careless as the big three in North America. It's time for them to re-evaluate their employees and engineers in designing better, more reliable vehicles, and not over think the plumbing as they have been doing in the past. The more complicated you make something, the harder it is to service, and more expensive to repair. This is spiraling right out of proportion, due to greed by all the car makers in the whole world...

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Excellent vehicle. Love the heated leather seats

Replaced left CV shaft. Some mechanic did not put a boot back on when working on the car. Not the fault of the car, but the mechanic.

Replaced rear pads with ceramic; didn't have to, but I did.

Transmission shifted rough, so I had it power flushed and added DuraLube transmission additive. Seems to be smoothing out the shifting. One tranny shop said I needed to replace the solenoid at a cost of $1800.00. Sure a lot different than spending $100.00 for the flush job.

General Comments:

In regards to power window problems, every few months I spray the window channels with silicone, which helps them to raise and lower easier.

For all Intrigue owners who are upset or disgusted with their Intrigues, I suggest that you read about the Toyotas, Nissans, Kias, Chrysler products, and all the others on carsurvey.org. It should make you feel better to deal with the problems you have. Our family are happy with our 2 2002 Olds Intrigues. Best vehicle for the money. If you can do most of the work yourself, you can save big dollars.

Review Date: 25th November, 2008

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS 3.5L from North America

Summary:

Best for the money

Replaced rear pads with ceramic at 95,000 miles.

Replaced secondary air pump at 83,000 miles.

Installed cold air intake filter at 93,000 miles for better acceleration and fuel economy.

General Comments:

Best value vehicle for the money. Parts are not nearly as expensive as some foreign name cars. Easy to work on, and easy to change oil even though it has an in pan filter; the tool to remove filter is available for do it yourself. Easy to change oil and filter without a mess.

Our GLS is a pleasure to drive. I love the heated seats.

All around excellent vehicle. Expect to get 200,000 miles on it.

Review Date: 24th November, 2008

2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5 liter from North America

Summary:

Easily the best car I've ever owned

Blown rack and pinion steering at 70000km.

Coolant leak from a cooling pipe - transmission had to be removed to fix a gasket at 102000kms.

Rough starts caused by "sticky" throttle body.

Seized E-brake cable.

Signals stopped working; only the cornering lights would light up when signaling. The signal flasher, aka: the four way button on dashboard had to be replaced

General Comments:

It drives and handles VERY well.

I had to replace the rack and pinion unit, but I believe that was because the car was a rental vehicle before I owned it, and possibly could have been beaten on a bit. And just before it went, I had to avoid an accident, which almost spelled the end for this car; thank you traction control! After that, the steering was loose, and the car wandered all over the road when driving at any speed.

I have noticed the lights flickering on occasion. I have taken it to the dealership and nothing was found, and I notice it only when the car shifts at about 60km/h when it's damp outside. Unless it gets worse, I won't worry about it, especially since it seems like a common bug.

The coolant leak was slow; I had only to top up about once a month, but I had to get it fixed, which cost me an arm and a leg, and haven't had any serious problem since; no regrets.

The sticky throttle and seized E-brake cable ocurred after I had stored the car for winter, and wasn't much money to fix.

Review Date: 4th July, 2008

4th Jul 2008, 10:09

I have a 2000 Intrigue with 197,000 miles on it and all I've replaced was the air pump. It's a great car. I'm having problems with my blinkers and hazards and wondered if I too need the 4-way button on the dash, but I don't know what to get. Is there a part number you could give me? I've searched the internet and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

5th Jul 2008, 17:25

Unfortunately, I didn't save my invoice when I bought the button from the dealership, but replacing the button should fix the signal problem, it was about $110 cdn brand new, wasn't difficult to replace myself, the button pulls out of the dash from the inside after you remove the center vents, clips right back into place. You may save some cash finding one at a scrapyard too.