2004 Peugeot 206 S 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Fun, but may fall to bits

Got the car with a few issues, I replaced the aerial and the clock/temperature display myself with eBay and dealer parts.

The car had a strange gremlin where all the warning lights would go off unexpectedly. After two garage visits to a specialist, this was fixed with a new battery.

Next big issue was a new head gasket. I've also had a coolant leak fixed, and at the last MoT fitted a whole new rear wheel axle, as there was a wheel bearing issue. Peugeot don't make them to be serviceable.

General Comments:

I am fan of Peugeots; they have the best compromise of styling, performance and running costs.

The car looks great, is cheap to insure and cheap to tax at £140 a year. It will do 30 to 40 MPG, and parts and servicing are average with an independent.

The handling is so much better than my last car (the 306), and the 1.6 engine pulls well across the range and sounds pretty meaty out of the exhaust. I've owned BMWs and Golf GTIs, and this car is fun to drive around town, a perfect city car, very easy to park.

The disappointment is the reliability. I may have been unlucky, but my last two Peugeots have needed head gaskets. I had full service history with this car, and it had been looked after, so I guess they just don't make them like they use to.

But you get what you pay for, and this was a very cheap initial purchase. I may go Japanese next, now that I am getting old.

Review Date: 14th February, 2015

2004 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 2.0L 16v from South Africa

Summary:

Great performance, but unreliable

Coil pack failed.

Secondary air pump failed (exhaust).

Camshaft oil leak, resulted in early cambelt replacement.

Oil leak between head and block.

Absolute pressure sensor failed. The car was off the road for 6 weeks.

Water pump failed.

Sunroof leaks when it rains, and rattles on bumpy roads.

Front suspension arm replaced.

Sump oil gasket leak.

Dealer fitted an incorrect air filter; the filter was too small, allowing dirt into the engine.

Catalytic converter blocked, exhaust replaced.

2 engine mountings collapsed, causing the V belt to slip off.

Power steering pump failed.

General Comments:

The car does put a smile on my face when travelling long distances. Overtaking capability is great.

But it does give me nightmares, and I have to try think positively about it, and pray that nothing more goes wrong.

I will sell it as soon as it is economical for me to do so, because I have not had the car two years yet, and it is financed.

Dealer principle has poor service, and I'm sure phenomenal profits are made on spares.

Review Date: 19th June, 2012

20th Jun 2012, 03:13

I forgot to mention that the starter motor also failed, and needed to be replaced.

2004 Peugeot 206 Roland Garros Cabrio 1.6 from Turkey

Summary:

The car is cool, but only cool

The electronic system always gave the something is wrong signal. Went to the service shop, the signals were taken out by computerised software, didn't understand what was wrong.

The ignition went off one day, all of a sudden. Towed the car, the ignition and the brain activities were dead, didn't understand either, but had to pay.

General Comments:

Heavy, responsive, show off and cool to drive, but consumes like hell; a full tank gets me about 350km max.

Not for family and not for safety, just a show off car.

Review Date: 20th February, 2012

2004 Peugeot 206 from Jordan

Summary:

I love my Jaquelin... Peugeot is like a dream

Well my accelerator meter sometimes stops. It just suddenly falls down at 10, and never moves until I restart the car many times, but no biggy in my opinion.

It ran with me from 80000 to 260000, and so far so good *touch wood*.

Seats comfort aren't so good its kinda tiring.

General Comments:

The car is just great. I recommend one. It rides smoothly and fast for a 1.4 engine.

I love it, and wouldn't change it for now.

It's cheap, but maintenance is kinda expensive.

Cool and hip.

What more can I say, I love my Peugeot, I call her Jaquelin; it's French right :P.

Review Date: 22nd November, 2010