2004 Peugeot 206 XSi 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Shocking

I had a broken drivers seat. The bolts which hold the action in place just broke when I had to brake quickly, throwing me backward and away from the brake pedal. It was lucky this did not cause an accident. The car had only done 19,000 miles.

Peugeot refused to help, as did the dealership on the grounds it had ran out of warranty, yet this is a safety feature and bolts do NOT just break! A new seat costs around £680.00, plus fitting plus VAT, so it is bloody expensive.

Peugeot have a lot of seat problems, in fact a lot of problems full stop, and they just do not want to know. This is dangerous and someone could be killed. The bolts which hold the seat in place just broke, yet they are supposed to be designed to last the lifetime of the vehicle and to withstand impact. Obviously a defect, which Peugeot will not accept.

I believe one cannot mend the frame as the seat will not work properly. One has to buy a new frame with welded bolts in place and transfer the padding cover and airbag. Sorry, it is not any help, but I feel the more folk shout about problems, maybe Peugeot will do something about it.

Another point to take on board, Peugeot state the 206 has in excess of 30,000 components and they cannot guarantee each part 100 per cent. Errrr if this is the case, then they should honour those parts which break, especially if they are connected to safety or render the car undriveable. They advertise it as 'The drive of your life'... Ummmm Should or could be.. The last drive of your life.

In short, will I buy Peugeot again? NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!

Review Date: 20th October, 2008

2004 Peugeot 206 HDi 1.4 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Excellent value and style, but a bit expensive to service

The main beam (bulb) pops quite a lot, which is aggravating about once a month in the winter months. Peugeot did not have good advice on a fix/fuse solution, so I guess it's a minor electrical fault. Main Dealer Services are a bit expensive.

Minor pull to the left on the steering. Last bill was for a steering arm replacement, but the roads may have had an effect.

The spanner symbol, which can only be turned off by the dealership's garage, is really annoying. I use a local garage to reduce cost.

General Comments:

Cam belt change at 120,000 miles was a welcome bonus from a cost point of view.

64 MPG is good enough for me after 4 years. It also makes it difficult to find a replacement, and even with diesel at 11% above the petrol price, it's still cheap motoring.

Review Date: 4th June, 2008

3rd Apr 2011, 15:52

You write that in order to turn off the spanner symbol you must take the car to the dealer. In my manual it describes how to reset it myself! It's just a certain sequence of pressing the buttons in the dash.

2004 Peugeot 206 GTi 180 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Smashing

Nothing; a great motor.

General Comments:

Great; if you drive it right it goes like hell. It's easy to tune; I have a Bluefin chip, DMC induction kit and Powerflow exhaust. My car is 221bhp and it even beats Subarus, so it would leave Clio 182s and all cars similar

Review Date: 21st August, 2007

25th Aug 2007, 04:14

Point 1. I doubt thos mods would get increase the power by that much.

Point 2. Even if you did have that power, you wouldn't beat a Subaru; maybe a crappy non turbo model, but I bet you're not talking about them.

P.s I don't own a 182; in fact I hate the 172/182, I think they look crap and every review of them on here over estimates their power, saying they can beat the Civic Type R and Focus RS etc, something that they obviously can't, which makes me hate them more.