1989 Peugeot 405 MI16 1.9 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

The Ultimate Q car

Brake calipers needed replacing, New horn, hazard warning switch. odd spots of Welding for the MOT.

General Comments:

Not the quickest car on paper, but feels so much faster than the 8.5 0-60 time listed the acceleration when in the powerband is nothing less than startling.

Handles very well up to the limit, but you can feel the under-steer building up in late braking hard turn ins and I always have the feeling that when it goes it will be spectacular.

Interior trim is very nice and the leather seats and arm rest are seriously hard wearing still look almost new on my 18 year old car.

This is my second MI16 the first being a 4X4 that was a bit of a lemon, but this one is sound if they weren't getting so rare id never drive another car.

Review Date: 20th February, 2007

23rd Mar 2007, 10:45

Your story sounds eerily familiar. I too had a 4x4 that was a bit of lemon, and at the last MOT I needed new brake calipers, a horn and hazard warning switch, as well as some welding and the hand brake had to be adjusted.

I love these cars so much that I have had tow, despite the reliability issues. On the right road with no police man in sight, this is the most fun you can have for less than a £1,000.

I also have a V6 Golf 4 motion, which is much faster and much more composed, but nowhere near as much fun.

1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16 1.9i from North America

Nothing major. It has been very reliable car.

General Comments:

The most fun car I have driven. I am now looking for one with Turbo engine cause I am hooked on the Mi16's speed and control. A true rally car and I've smoked every car I raced on the roads including Fords, Acura, and Subaru.

In the US people make fun of Peugeot, but that's due to ignorance and lack of appreciation to craftmanship (hence, the crappy american cars).

Review Date: 16th October, 2005

14th Sep 2008, 03:09

I've got a Mi16 and I'm only a young kid. It is my second car after a Holden Commodore, and people are so ignorant and just don't understand Peugeot's.

The first comment is perfect.. lack of appreciation for craftsmanship. I just don't understand why people buy slush boxes and try tell tell me my car isn't a sports car, and it is no more sporty than a Commodore?

1989 Peugeot 405 GL 1.9 petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Good opinion

Heater blew: major job to replace it so I by passed it.

Carb doesn't transit from summer to winer well: constant tune if fussy.

Front bumper too low for NZ conditions: kept ripping off: had to grind 50mm off the bottom of it.

General Comments:

Enjoyable car: like owning something different like a Lada: only this doesn't break down: been round the country: both islands twice.

Review Date: 6th July, 2005

1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16 19.L twincam 16v from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Mi16 - "Engineered to be enjoyed"?... you better believe it!!!

- Recently I replaced the exhaust gasket next to the oxygen sensor, as well as the catalytic converter.

- New front disc's and pads at 210,000kms, EFI fuel line replaced, modulator, clutch cable clip, driver's side power window, engine mounts.

General Comments:

A Peugeot Mi16 represents a remarkable balance of comfort and performance.

No one will argue, (no one with much sense) over the value and awesome performance characteristics Japanese built cars possess, or potentially with modifications. Having said this, my stock standard 1989 model Mi16 provides me with a motor that wants to be driven hard, and handles like you had died and gone to heaven.

The interior is loaded with all the creature comforts, power you name it! The option pack includes rear head rests, sun roof, and leather upholstery. One feature of the Power Steering is that at low speeds it is light to handle, when at higher speeds the Power Steering stiffens to give you a more responsive feel of the road. This along with the ABS brakes & suspension set up which includes anti roll characteristics adds to the exhilaration you receive when taking this puppy through tight bends throughout the country side.

The 1.9L pulls you off at the lights adequately, in low rev ranges, but once you take her past 4-4,500rpm, she really hauls!. Keeping her in high rev ranges while down shifting before planting back on the power exiting that tight corner, will have you singing the praises of the Mi16 and the good people at Peugeot, in much the same way as I am now.

The overall comfort can be attributed to the semi-bucket seats with lumbar and head support, there is also a center arm rest that you'll find yourself using.

Needless to say you are reading one happy customers review! Purchasing a car (or any car) with 198,000kms you need to expect some repairs as my car is now 16 years old. The import thing to remember is that it is all relative, I purchased this car for AUD$7,900 when it sold new for about AUD$52,000. If that equates to a slightly higher service bill, then so be it.

The greatest tragedy of all is that the Mi16 is a discontinued series.

Review Date: 16th March, 2005

17th Mar 2005, 17:02

"...Japanese built cars..."?

I thought Peugeots were built in France??

11th Jun 2005, 23:12

Japanese cars refers to what other sport cars you can purchase for the same amount of money.

Although somewhat obvious, you are quite correct, Peougeot cars are indeed a fine product, courtesy of the French.

21st Feb 2006, 01:37

I understand the 405 was mainly built in Britain - bucking the saddening trend of the British motor industry!

31st Jan 2010, 20:32

Can someone clear this up for me please...

Was my 405 Mi16 built in France or the UK? I can't find anywhere on the car that says it, and some info on the web reckons it's the UK, but I'm sure they were built in France.

Bruce.