1989 Pontiac 6000 Reviews - Page 2 of 8

1989 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8L Automatic
Most recent distance212000 kilometres
Previous carBuick Regal

Summary:

A reliable P6K!

The Automatic transmission decided to go at about 150 000 KM. Once it was replaced the car seems to shift good again.

The suspension is getting weak and some components need to be replaced, but the car is all original. 15 years of service is good for me.

Other than that one major problem, nothing other than regular maintenance has been done to this car.

General Comments:

The 2.8L engine seems to enjoy fuel, but I don't complain, it isn't too bad and I don't mind paying for it. She hauls the car around pretty good I think for a small engine.

The car seems to have some body roll, but with some suspension upgrades, that can be changed.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2004

1989 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 6 cylinder Automatic
Previous carGeo Tracker

Summary:

It is a gas guzzling tank that needs to be repaired too much

It has had an ongoing problem with a leaky gas tank.

I have had to replace the gas tank once because it was almost rusted out underneath.

Shifts smooth for a little while after getting a new transmission, but then it jerks really bad going into gear.

The gas mileage is very bad, the best I have gotten is 28mpg on the highway, that's Canadian gallons.

The car smells of gasoline very strongly, especially after driving for a couple hours.

General Comments:

It has good acceleration except for the jerky shifting.

It handles around turns OK, so long as they are not very sharp and you aren't over 80 kilometers per hour.

Review Date: 10th February, 2004

10th Feb 2004, 13:03

I wouldn't complain about a car that has 400,000 kms on it. I would be quite happy. The problems are normal with that mileage. 28 mpg for a V6 is normal. Higher mileage cars tend to burn more fuel. The 2.8L V6 was GMs best and most reliable engine. I have seen many other 2.8 powered GM cars with super high mileage and still running strong. Why buy a car with 300,000kms in the first place?

15th Mar 2005, 12:09

I totally agree with the commentor above. These cars are great!

4th Aug 2005, 14:17

The pontiac 6000 rocks!!! but after driving it for five years the frame finally let go on me... oh well I had lots of fun with the pontiac 6000,it's a very fun and fast car and very comfortable. that car just rocks!!

24th Dec 2008, 19:06

Dude, try fixing your car. The transmission obviously wasn't new, my 222k mile transmission in my 6000 is original and shifts perfectly smooth. Abuse, and neglect are big factors in cars. Don't let a shop rebuild your tranny if that's what you did, because they will half ass it and throw it together and it will be garbage. My 6000 has the 3.1 V6 and it gets easily 31mpg on the highway (US Miles)

1989 Pontiac 6000 LE 4 Tech 2.5lt from North America

Engine and transmission 4 Tech 2.5lt Automatic
Previous carPontiac Ranger

Summary:

A very reliable and energized car

My cooling fan stopped running two weeks after I bought my car.

My inner-tyrod end went when three weeks after I bought my car.

My back passenger side window does not go down.

My back taillight is for some reason dimmer than the other.

The motor mount clunks when I put it in gear. (usually more so when in reverse)

General Comments:

I love my car to death. It runs great and has given me no problems starting this winter. My friends and I call it the orange beast. It will make it through mostly anything. I hit a deer going 85mph, fixed the car the next day and the car still runs great. I also love how it goes 115mph with no hesitations. The seats are so comfortable. I don't know how many times I have fallen asleep sitting in them. Over all I love my car very much.

Review Date: 5th February, 2004