1989 Pontiac 6000 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

It lives on... evidence of quality

The muffler has been replaced several times.

The transmission has serious slipping problems and won't go into drive sometimes.

The steering is very loose, and makes it hard to keep the car on the road.

The bench seats are uncomfortable and the drivers seat is collapsing into the frame. We put a pillow down there so you don't sit so low.

The thing that tells you what gear you are in doesn't work so you have to count down.

The suspension is much to soft for a car of this size.

Overall these are just problems that have come with the age of the car.

General Comments:

Lots of room for 6 people, though we fit 9 in there once.

Very powerful and has better acceleration than most cars on the road today.

It is a large car and is hard to maneuver in small areas like parking lots. Although it does not consume much gas.

Review Date: 27th April, 2008

1989 Pontiac 6000 ste 3.1L from North America

Summary:

Awesome

Rear Air Shocks, rust, water pump, ABS brake system.

General Comments:

Love the AWD drive - this car is meant to be driven in New England weather. It's really unstoppable. I wanted to talk to the gentlemen who bought an '89 STE with 20,000 mi on it when driving across country. Please email me if you ever want to sell it at david@eturgeon.com

Review Date: 5th February, 2008

1989 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8 MPFI from North America

Summary:

Honda car with a Pontiac name

Fuses, low pressure switch for the AC at 270,000 miles.

Horn relay at 300,000.

General Comments:

Wow! This car has has the snot beat out of it, and looks the part as well.

Hit so hard in the back, the trunk floor is separating from the quarter panel, and every panel has a major dent.

The interior wears like iron, and is dang comfy.

The radio is pretty damn loud.

This car was massively neglected; no regular oil changes, no maintenance if it didn't beg for it.

It's been to New Mexico, to California 10 times, and won't quit.

Has some real oomph when you tromp it.

Great car. Convinced a hardcore Mopar guy to buy another one of these gems. They are not toasters folks, they do want some TLC, and not everyone is going to be as good as mine; it really depends on the day it was built, all the way to who owned it last.

Yes, some pieces are pricy, but if you don't mind learning some basic how to and getting dirty, they're very stout, and thanks to the Internet, parts are cheaper and info is flowing.

If you can't keep a 6000 LE on the road, you really need to think about buying a bike, because a car is too big of a responsibility for you.

Review Date: 24th September, 2007

1989 Pontiac 6000 LE 2.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

Not bad for a $400.00 car!

I have only had to replace the blower motor for the heating and cooling system. I bought the car with the blower motor out, and that is the only thing that I have had to replace.

General Comments:

The previous owner had a turbocharger and intercooler installed. And MAN, this car has out ran brand new Eclipses and Celicas.

I have done the interior in leather with wood grain, and mounted GPS navigation. It has transformed from a run of the mill family sedan into an all out luxury sedan.

I drive this car more than I drive my 2005 Ford F-250 Super Duty, or my 2005 GMC Yukon Denali.

Review Date: 22nd July, 2006

1989 Pontiac 6000 LE Safari 2.8 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Good for now, Concern is MPG

Not much really, except all of the rust on the lower portion of the car. (due to a lot of snow driving from the previous owner here in upstate NY). He replace a gas tank, an alternator, and a radiator in seven years of ownership.

General Comments:

I really like my wood-grain rust bucket ($500.00 price tag). I have only done one short day trip with her, but I love what she can do. We loaded up with 3 adults and 5 kids and didn't feel cramped. I had a half of tank of gas, drove about 80 miles and returned home and still had a 1/4 tank. (the previous owner said he got about 24mpg). I bought a 16 year old car so I could make my 30 mile (one-way) commute daily to work to save money on gas. I would love to hear about what other folks are getting for fuel economy. I'm hoping she works out... Knock on wood... woodgrain.

Review Date: 4th September, 2005