1988 Pontiac Fiero Coupe 2.5L four cylinder from North America

Summary:

I love this car! It's the best investment I have made!

When I first purchased the car, the engine was only running on three cylinders. After some investigation, I found that the ignition module (1988 four cylinder engines ran with two coil packs) was very corroded. I replaced that, then the crankshaft position sensor broke off inside the engine block. An hour later, I finally was able to pry it out. The module cost me $106, the coil $59 and the crank sensor $25. Now the car runs perfectly as if it was just off the showroom floor.

Also, when I purchased the car, it had no exhaust from the catalytic converter back. It was very, very loud! I bought a new free flow muffler assembly from my local Canadian Tire for $110 and it sounds like a dream.

General Comments:

This car is very fast when you floor it while rolling. I really wish it was faster off the line. A Ford Focus beat me off the line, but not in top speed and handling. I was able to hit 170 km/h at the top end and took a corner at about 100 km/h and the car turned as if it was on rails. The Ford had to slow down to 60 km/h.

I really want to put a Quad 4 in my Fiero. I am considering buying another Fiero for racing purposes.

Review Date: 7th September, 2001

1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Awesome sporty little car with some serious kick!

Nothing major, mostly visual defects..

- 1/4 (sail panels) get stress cracks.

- Tail light lenses crack.

- Motor was rebuilt at 150k as a precaution.

General Comments:

I love this car, If you're looking for something that will turn some heads, take corners at high speeds, and just overall to have lots of fun with, this is definitely the most fun I had ever had driving a car.

My mom owns an 87 GT, and she loves her car almost as much as I like mine? :)

Review Date: 21st April, 2001

1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula 2.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

The under-valued, under-appreciated, best American mid-engine, high-performance, sporty commuter car

Right rear brake seal went out, replaced with a used caliper.

Radiator sprung leak in plastic side tank, replaced with 4-core all metal high-performance radiator.

Replaced rubber brake lines with steel braided lines from Fiero Store.

Radio doesn't work, but I'd rather listen to the sounds of the engine and the wind rushing by the sun-roof anyway.

General Comments:

This is my second Fiero Formula and I've never had any major problems with either car.

Car runs incredibly strong and I'm going to do the 3.4 engine swap in a few months.

Outperforms and out-corners most other cars on the road.

Review Date: 3rd March, 2001