1986 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 from Netherlands

Summary:

A great choice for any American sportscar enthousiast!

When I bought the car, I knew a few things had to repaired in order to make the car fully functional.

First I've had both the rear shocks replaced with new ones as they were almost worn out.

After this, I replaced the cables on the spark plugs with original ones, as the previous owner put the wrong type of cables on it.

The red paint is bad and the car could use a new paintjob. This will happen next month.

The ignition copper spool broke down en was replaced with a spool from a Citroen BX.

After 4 months the fuelpump began to fail which concluded in a stuttering engine. I've had it replaced with a new one.

Seats started to wear out after one year. The seats were already in bad condition when I bought the car. I refurnished the seats with leather.

The automatic trunk won't stay open. When the trunk is opened and you let loose of it, it falls down and closes itself. I have not yet dealt with this problem, but it's a minor nuisance since a Firebird's trunk is quite useless anyway.

General Comments:

I am really in love with the Pontiac Firebird. It's great to have a third generation Firebird in Holland because these cars are hardly seen here. My car really turns heads! In short, these American sportscars are great to look at!

I think the small V6 engine is fairly quick. It's not a Trans Am though. I plan on building a V8 TPI engine in my Firebird next year.

My car handles like a dream as long as you don't take turns too sharp as it may cause the car to spin. This can be very entertaining, but it can also be dangerous.

My most recent problem with the car is that the engine suddenly quits running while driving the car. The engine just shuts off without giving a warning or without making a sputtering sound. I think the electronic ignition module is to blame for this and I will replace it this week. This problem can put you in great danger as you will lose both powerbrakes and powersteering until the car is put to a stop and restarted.

Fuel isn't cheap in Holland. If you plan on buying a Pontiac, keep in mind that this car has fairly high running costs (if you live in Holland that is) and you will find yourself driving to the fuelstation for a refill on a regular basis.

The Firebird offers plenty of space for the driver and the front seated passenger. However, the back seats aren't very comfortable and you won't make friends if you let people use them :c) As mentioned before, the trunk is very small and practically useless.

I have owned this car for 2 years now and only a few things have gone wrong with the car; the malfunctioning fuelpump being the biggest problem. You could say this car is pretty reliable. I've never had problems starting the engine on a freezing winter morning.

All in all, I think this is one of the best sportscars an "average man" can afford. I plan on making this car even prettier than it already is and never want to part with it!

Review Date: 18th April, 2004

18th Feb 2005, 15:47

I also agree with that comment. for price and tuning the carberated engine is the way to go. I own a 86 bird with 305 carberated engine. to modify mine I take it in the back yard to do it. and it doesn't require a garage or a lab top to tune. good luck I hope she works for ya.

10th May 2006, 09:00

Thanks for your advice. A lot of other people warned me not to mount a TPI engine, but go for a carburated 5.7 engine instead. A lot of work has gone into the car since I wrote this review. The car also has a new paint-job (black). By the end of the year, I plan on mounting a carburated Chevy V8 engine.

17th Oct 2007, 20:11

I love my 86 Firebird as well. It's a V6 but still can be a lot of fun to drive. I live in Detrit area so after college I would like to fix the small surface rust it has and put a 5.0 or more, V8 in it, eventually.

1986 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

A sporty gem, this one's a triumph during warmer weather

When I purchased the car the odometer and speedometer were not functioning. Therefore it remains at 130,000 miles.

The headlight motor blew out, so the lids are constantly up.

There is a tear in the driver seat. Otherwise, I find them to be quite comfortable, and all of the other seats have proven durable.

The hydraulic motors to hold up the trunk and hood do not work.

The heater is broken, however because of the temperature at which the engine runs I can heat up the inside of the car rather quickly by setting the air controls at vent.

My most recent discouragement involves a leak in the the fuel filter and lines, being the original, are made of steel.

General Comments:

This is a great car, when in good condition, especially for a single person or couple. The front seats are spacious, however the back is cramped.

Also, trunk space is limited.

The rear end is light, so good tires are crucial for superior handling.

The smaller aforementioned imperfections, like the headlights, can be considered an inconvenience, but do not affect the overall appeal of this car.

Review Date: 14th April, 2003

3rd Dec 2009, 23:42

I have this same car, 250.000 klm, runs well, not an oil burner, has some surface rust, but otherwise in good condition. Holds the road in winter better than my Buick Century, would love to restore this car, but at my age it's not worth my time,