1986 Pontiac Firebird Base 2.8 V6 from North America

Summary:

Don't drive em in snow unless you like ditches

Right side headlight motor is starting to go. 88,250.

Needed new tires when I got it. 82,000.

Transmission mounts need replaced. 88,000.

General Comments:

My first car, bought it at a VERY reasonable price.

The car has many options on it, such as tilt wheel, T bar roof, 6 disc CD player with amp, overdrive transmission (not sure if that was an option or not).

Well I bought it in November of 2005 with 82,500 miles on it, for around $1,500. It sat under my car port for about a year until I got my driver's license.

I have since put in a K&N high flow air filter, which made a very noticeable difference, removed the stock cat converter, and added a highflow. Removed the stock muffler and welded in a FlowTech Terminator.

Just had to replace the rear tires due to the previous owner's abuse, I bought the Firestone Firehawks, which have really helped with wintertime handling.

All in all, with some of the minor performance modifications I have made, this little 2.8 is really pretty quick now.

Review Date: 6th January, 2007

1986 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 from North America

Summary:

Throws you back in your seat

Seats were bad when I got the car. I replaced the back ones with 96' Camaro seats. I'm still working on locating front seats to match the back ones.

Harmonic balancer went out because a earlier mechanic took a pry bar to the timing cover.

Crank seals are going out. I plan on replacing the engine at this point with a 5.7 350.

Exhaust fell off. Bought a bolt on stock replacement.

General Comments:

I'm sixteen years old and I have had the police called on me for hot rodding around in my car.

It's a great car and handles like a dream. The front of the car is extremely comfortable, although if you plan on people riding in the back, they had better be midgets. I'm 6'4" and there is no way I could ride back there.

I have owned the car for 9 months and I am impressed with it.

It leaks oil out from the crank seals, but it still starts every time and wants to get up and go.

All in all, this is a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. I plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life.

Review Date: 1st August, 2006

1st Mar 2009, 21:24

Since writing this post I decided to try to impress a girl and revved the engine in the cold. Cracked the intake manifold. I was then forced to sell the car. And grow up a little in the process and start to drive an economy car.

15th May 2012, 11:35

Hello sir.

You're 16 and owned a third gen 80s Firebird? How did you get the insurance affordable? I'm 17 and very seriously considering getting a 1986 Firebird. The only thing is I'd pay over 100 dollars a month. So back to my question; any tips or specific companies to get insurance from that you would recommend?

1986 Pontiac Firebird 2.8L V6 Manual from North America

Summary:

Excellent choice for a vehicle

First I had to replace the fuel pump.

The exhaust had to be removed for now.

I had to replace the cooling system.

The fan relay went bad from a short.

Needs spark plugs and fuel treatment.

Tires required valve stem changing.

It needs repainting.

General Comments:

I got my first car late last year at a very decent price. The car had been sitting for over seven years.

It required very little work to get it going once again.

It is surprisingly quick for a 2.8L. The man who owned it before me invested in all kinds of performance parts.

She turns on a dime.

With the muffler removed, it sounds loud. I want to put Flow master mufflers on it to give it a little more kick.

This car accelerates at an astonishing rate. It can throw you back in the seat and keep you there. The power is abnormally high for this car.

She is in most excellent condition for a car with so many miles on it.

Review Date: 14th August, 2004