1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 305 V8 4bbl from North America

A beautiful car that is getting more scarce

This car has had many things replaced by the previous owner:

Tune up

Control arm

Tires and more

Right now it needs a transmission mount and a new radiator.

The interior is a bio-hazard and it needs a front bumper, but these are because of the previous owner.

Fan had to be wired to a switch to work (was like this in my 89 Formula as well)

General Comments:

Sounds great, looks decent, after work is done will look great. Engine is very quiet and drives well; especially surprising because of the high mileage.

Nice, cheaper sporty car; won't win you any races with newer cars (dated technology) but still is fast and fun to take out on a nice day. Wish it had T-Tops, but nothing's perfect.

Review Date: 19th March, 2008

1986 Pontiac Firebird Base 2.8 V6 from North America

Don't drive em in snow unless you like ditches

Right side headlight motor is starting to go. 88,250.

Needed new tires when I got it. 82,000.

Transmission mounts need replaced. 88,000.

General Comments:

My first car, bought it at a VERY reasonable price.

The car has many options on it, such as tilt wheel, T bar roof, 6 disc CD player with amp, overdrive transmission (not sure if that was an option or not).

Well I bought it in November of 2005 with 82,500 miles on it, for around $1,500. It sat under my car port for about a year until I got my driver's license.

I have since put in a K&N high flow air filter, which made a very noticeable difference, removed the stock cat converter, and added a highflow. Removed the stock muffler and welded in a FlowTech Terminator.

Just had to replace the rear tires due to the previous owner's abuse, I bought the Firestone Firehawks, which have really helped with wintertime handling.

All in all, with some of the minor performance modifications I have made, this little 2.8 is really pretty quick now.

Review Date: 6th January, 2007

1986 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 from North America

Throws you back in your seat

Seats were bad when I got the car. I replaced the back ones with 96' Camaro seats. I'm still working on locating front seats to match the back ones.

Harmonic balancer went out because a earlier mechanic took a pry bar to the timing cover.

Crank seals are going out. I plan on replacing the engine at this point with a 5.7 350.

Exhaust fell off. Bought a bolt on stock replacement.

General Comments:

I'm sixteen years old and I have had the police called on me for hot rodding around in my car.

It's a great car and handles like a dream. The front of the car is extremely comfortable, although if you plan on people riding in the back, they had better be midgets. I'm 6'4" and there is no way I could ride back there.

I have owned the car for 9 months and I am impressed with it.

It leaks oil out from the crank seals, but it still starts every time and wants to get up and go.

All in all, this is a great car and I would recommend it to anyone. I plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life.

Review Date: 1st August, 2006

1st Mar 2009, 21:24

Since writing this post I decided to try to impress a girl and revved the engine in the cold. Cracked the intake manifold. I was then forced to sell the car. And grow up a little in the process and start to drive an economy car.

15th May 2012, 11:35

Hello sir.

You're 16 and owned a third gen 80s Firebird? How did you get the insurance affordable? I'm 17 and very seriously considering getting a 1986 Firebird. The only thing is I'd pay over 100 dollars a month. So back to my question; any tips or specific companies to get insurance from that you would recommend?

19th Jun 2015, 05:28

I own an 86 Firebird and I'm 17. I pay $80 a month on it with Geico.