1986 Pontiac Firebird Reviews - Page 4 of 5

1986 Pontiac Firebird 5.0 tpi from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 tpi Automatic
Previous carJeep CJ5

Summary:

Buy one and it will be the only car you'll ever wanna drive

Nothing I could see ever was wrong with it. The car has always done great until I changed the engine. Then I started having problems out of it. My dad built a 1965 300hp 327 with $3500.00 invested in it and he gave it to me. So I wanted more monster power for racing. And I got it with a price of a lot of problems I never would have got if I would have left the 5.0 in it. Now my computer is'nt reading the car right because the tpi dose not match up to the air and fuel it needs to run right.

General Comments:

On the good points and there is a lot. The car handles better then any Ford or Dodge I ever drove. And I haven't seen a street legal Dodge or Ford to compare to it yet. Basically I love the car I have owned it for 3 yrs and I'll never part with it. I think the only car average people can afford that could outdo the trans am is the corvette.

Review Date: 8th February, 2003

1986 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am 5.0 Tuned Port Injection from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 Tuned Port Injection Automatic
Previous carMazda 626

Summary:

A Corvette with room for four

Battery was dead due to sitting up for over two months.

Brakes are currently "squeaking."

General Comments:

This car looks great with and without the t-tops being taken off.

Handles exceptionally well, although the rear is a little light.

Interior was wonderfully designed and is very comfortable for a single or even married without children person.

Review Date: 2nd February, 2003

1st Apr 2004, 10:41

You are a little vague on why the rear-end is light on the car, otherwise I would grade your report high.

1st Apr 2004, 15:20

He's vague on why the rear end is light? Probably because it is not heavy enough. What a Stupid question.

He likely says this because he gets too much wheel spin, and maybe the rear end comes out while going around sharp fast corners.

1986 Pontiac Firebird S/E 2.8 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired200000 kilometres
Most recent distance220000 kilometres
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

A very High performance beast

Nothing has gone wrong with my car since I have owned it.

When I bought it though, the hood was stuck shut, a little Grease Fixed that. Also, my father slammed the trunk, which was not (!!) good for the motor that closes the trunk for you, it wouldn't open for about a week after that.

The drivers side seat is ripped, but that's not the manufactures fault.

The engine is perfect. has always started and given me the power when I needed it. It costs me about 20.00 to fill the tank.

General Comments:

This car is more reliable then the new cars in my driveway.

I have left my lights on, for hours, and it started like nothing was wrong.

This car will definitely outlast many of the cars from the same year.

A very cheap, good investment.

Review Date: 1st December, 2002

3rd Dec 2008, 19:17

I also have Firebird S/E '86. Nice white one. Only thing what went wrong was paint... it just peeled off. Probably because I had this car sitting for days under hot sun. Anyway I put new gorgeous white paint on it, but I've lost those door decals that say.. FIREBIRD S/E. Anybody know where to get them?

1986 Pontiac Firebird Base 2.8V6 from North America

First year of ownership1986
Engine and transmission 2.8V6 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

Summary:

A good car for the price

Windshield wiper tube needed to be replaced.

General Comments:

This car is seriously quick for a V6 it's a true sports car. The only problem with this car is that the ride is really hard. Overall it's a one of a kind car.

Review Date: 26th November, 2002

1986 Pontiac Firebird 2.8 V6 from North America

First year of ownership1986
Engine and transmission 2.8 V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Celica

Summary:

Once in a lifetime car

My dad bought this car brand new and I have had it since 1996. Absolutely nothing went wrong with this car for the first 10 years besides routine maintenance. One minor problem is the headlights tend to need replacing quite often since they are vulnerable to rocks.

Alternator had to be replaced at about 200,000kms.

Paint started to rust then peel at about 320,000kms.

Door hinges became weak, especially noticeable in the winter time around 360,000kms.

Engine tends to flutter and rev itself for a couple minutes while idling. This started around 395,000kms and nobody has been able to identify this problem.

This car is currently at 401,000kms and still running pretty well.

General Comments:

I cannot imagine a more well-made car than the '86 Firebird. This car has really made it over 15 years with very minor repair costs. Only now, at approaching 400,000kms, is it starting to show signs of breaking down. I definitely wish newer GM cars were made like this one.

Review Date: 2nd November, 2002

26th Nov 2002, 19:00

I have a 1986 Pontiac Firebird and I am very happy with it. I had no major problems with just normal problems. For a small V6 the car is pretty fast and will accelerate really fast. The only problem is that the car gets hot real fast. Overall I think that this is the best car I ever had.

28th Jun 2004, 07:48

I also have a 1986 Pontiac Firebird, 2.8L V6 Fuel Injected, which is my first car. So far we have just had to replace the fuel pump and the fan relay, not bad for a car that has been sitting for over seven years. Even after getting the fan running properly, however, the car still gets hot rather quickly and takes a long time to cool down. We checked the temperature of the water in the radiator and it was barely warm when the car was at 220 degrees. There is this buildup of white gunk in the radiator, which may contribute to the problem. The thermostat does not appear to be working properly either. So now we are going to replace the radiator, the water pump, and the thermostat. Everything on the car other than the cooling system works perfectly. The man before me who had it invested a pile of money in it, but never could get it to run properly.

20th Sep 2005, 20:22

I had that fluttering problem and had it checked out and found out that it had something to do with the electrical system.