1999 Pontiac Grand Am Reviews - Page 65 of 78

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 2.4 L4 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.4 L4 Automatic
Previous carPontiac Sunbird

Summary:

Good-looking family road rocket

Fuel Filter clogs up pretty easily. Fuel pump burnt out due to bad gas and attempted sabotage.

General Comments:

I love this little car. It handles like it's an F1 car.

It does need a little more power out of all three engines, though.

Review Date: 20th February, 2003

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 6 cylinder from North America

Engine and transmission 6 cylinder Automatic
Distance when acquired42000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Malibu

Summary:

Needs a lot of TLC

Jan 7th 2002, three days after I drove off the lot of Edmark Chevrolet, the water pump went out. Did I buy the extended warranty? Like an idiot, no. I never had a problem with my previous vehicles and thought it was just a way for them to squeeze more money out of the deal. Price to correct... $650 out of pocket.

April 10th 2002, 46,200 miles, weather getting hot and now the air conditioner doesn't work. Doubt it ever did when I bought it since the weather was so cold it seemed like it was. Price to correct... $600 out of pocket.

November 15th 2002, 56,000 miles, started noticing a rapid decline in power steering fluid. Been keeping it filled up every month. Not noticing any leaks, but still finding it disappearing. Am sure this will uncover shortly. Price to correct... so far $8.00 out of pocket.

February 9th 2003, 59,000 miles, car is in shop as I am typing. Car will not shift up past second. Having to take back-roads at 35 m.p.h. Called GM to see if they had heard anything. Only one recall about the console release lever. Computer checked out OK for the electronic transmission and now the mechanical work begins. No charge yet, but estimated around the $500 range if I am lucky.

General Comments:

Although this car has brought a lot of fun to my life, I doubt that I will buy another one. The quality seems to speak for itself in my experiences and also the others.

For the buck that I paid, initially, the car has served to be of great use. I would not recommend this car however to someone not wanting a lot of issues.

Review Date: 10th February, 2003

23rd Feb 2003, 18:48

I hate that you had a bad experience with your Pontiac Grand Am SE... I guess it was by God's grace that my car haven't given me any major problems... I purchase my car from Florence Toyota in Sooth Carolina and I am grafeful... When I purchase my car it had 65,000 miles on it and that was early August 2002 and it's now February 2003 with over 100,000 miles and God's grace and mercy still prevails because I didn't purchase a warranty on it as well as yourself... May God Bless and Keep You and guide you in future auto purchases... Again May God Bless You...

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.4 from Puerto Rico

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership1999
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

Crap

Rear speaker doesn't work

Door panels had to be replaced

Air conditioner

Power steering leaks

Tires blowing out

Dash board coming apart.

General Comments:

This car is a piece of crap, will never purchase GM cars again.

The dealer says that the car is out of warranty and will do nothing for the problems with the dash board.

Review Date: 30th January, 2003

7th Jun 2004, 12:47

The owners comments are very very clear. Some car dealers maintenance shops can be very cold and unreliable. After your warranty is up, it's either do you want an extended warranty or if not get lost.

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Most recent distance92000 miles
Previous carPontiac 1993 Honda Accord SE

Summary:

A piece of junk

My rotors have been replaced twice.

My molding around both front windows has come a part.

My alternator has been replaced.

My battery went out at 65,000.

Intake gasket now leaks and I have to add coolant to the radiator every other day.

Front end shakes terribly when speed above 65.

General Comments:

This is the worst car I've ever owned, I will never purchase another one like this if I can finish paying for it. The car wholes no value when I tried to trade it for something newer it's only worth about 3200. By the time I finish paying for it'll be worth $20.00.

Review Date: 29th January, 2003

7th Jul 2003, 15:43

My 1999 Grand Am leaked "dexcool" as well. It was a $900 repair. The intake gasket failed at 65,000 miles allowing dexcool to mix with the oil. I was under the impression this was an isolated problem until I checked out all of the complaints on the net. To make matters worse (and not to be scaring you) six months later the engine is being replaced. I purchased this car new and maintained it as per the service manual. Never again will I own a GM product. This very week (as my Grand-Am is getting an engine) my S-10 is also in the shop getting a "dexcool" leak fixed on a 60,000 mile GM engine!