1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L Supercharged from North America

Summary:

Performance, looks, comfort, and reliability at an awesome price

The transmission acts a little peculiar. When driving at lower highway speeds (55-60) it surges a little like the torque converter can't decide whether it wants to lock up or not.

The tension pulley for the supercharger makes a little rattling noise at idle, but any increase at all in RPM makes it silent.

When I first turn on the heater fan, it chirps a little but becomes silent after about 5 seconds.

The lamp burned out on the factory stereo's clock/station indicator.

One of the tail light lenses has allowed moisture in.

General Comments:

I have to say that for the age and mileage of this car, I am thoroughly impressed. The person I bought it from was the second owner for 5 years. She never washed it and it still has no rust anywhere on the body. Fortunately she kept the interior clean so it is nearly perfect inside.

This car runs far better than the '95 V8 Cougar I have. If I didn't know any better I would think this thing has a good running V8 in it. I gotta give Pontiac props for supercharging an already good engine.

At faster highway speeds (65-70) the surge goes away and the ride is firm but smooth. I was doing 95 with my dad in it one day, and he asked me if the speedometer was right, because it was smooth and quiet.

I am also impressed by the handling it delivers. It handles like a foreign car with fancy suspension, even though it only has simple McPherson strut suspension. I usually don't have to slow down at all for curves on dry pavement.

Even though the torque converter lock up feature doesn't work properly, this car still gets astounding gas mileage for such a big car. I can get about 30 out of it if I keep my foot light on the pedal. Even lead-foot driving yields 22-25.

Here is a testament to some of the folks talking so good about their GTP's with lower mileage. They still have a long way to go.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2008

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8L Supercharged from North America

Summary:

I love her

I bought the car from an older lady I used to work with for $400 because she thought the transmission had gone out. Upon further inspection I decided to change the fluid and filter. Once this was done the tranny worked fine. However I do expect to have problems with it later on.

General Comments:

This car is a coupe which is a definite plus for me. It has a firm but still very nice ride. I've put it through a few pretty sharp curves well above the suggested speed and it hugged the road beautifully. The cabin noise is really quiet considering the throaty sound of the engine from outside the car. I like the easy and convenient layout of the controls in the cockpit. Performance is awesome. It will make very short work of my V8 Cougar.

Review Date: 23rd December, 2008

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3.8 liter V6 Supercharged from North America

Summary:

Best car I've ever owned

Valve cover gaskets.

Oil pan gasket.

Serpentine belt.

Fuel pump.

Blower motor (AC & heat).

Basics; Battery, spark plugs, etc.

General Comments:

Performance; This car is no joke when it comes to performance. Stock, this car can run 0-60 in a matter of six seconds without the use of 10 gallons of gas. To make it faster, all you need is a cold air intake, a smaller supercharger pulley which generates 25-50 more horsepower, and if wanted, an upgraded PCM which raises shift points, lowers engine temperature, etc.

Gas mileage; This is probably one of the only cars that requires premium gas, but does not demand a lot of it. I have used ultra 93 ever since I bought the car, and have consistently got 20 city and around 30/31 highway.

Comfort; I compare most other cars such as Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs to my car, and find that although the GTP is not exactly a performance/sports car, the ride is phenomenal with its sport suspension and quiet cabin, with lots of room to fit five people comfortably. Long highway trips are extremely nice with this car. There is no road noise that you hear in other sports cars or even compact sports cars.

Daily driving; This car is very practical for anybody! I would consider it a crossover between a sports car and a luxurious car. Although city mileage is in the lower 20's and upper teens, it still beats the mileage of a Lincoln and a Corvette. Passing power is amazing without having to drop a gear. The boost from the supercharger comes into play before the car drops down to the fourth gear on highway.

Reliability; Owning this car for over ten years has brought me minor problems such as valve cover gaskets (they all eventually go bad), oil pan gasket (which was only $20), and the fuel pump, which wasn't a whole lot to replace. It has never had a problem starting up, nor any funny noises coming from the engine compartment.

Exterior; Pontiac really made a difference when they redesigned this car for 1997. The aggressive styling looks amazing from the nose to the rear spoiler. The paint and trim are better quality than most of the other competitors, and don't rust like others either.

Interior; The bells and whistles this car has are very nice. It features leather seats, driver's heated seat, a heads-up display (windshield speedometer), premium sound system, CD player, and a dual climate system.

Review Date: 1st December, 2008