2002 Pontiac Montana Reviews - Page 3 of 8

2002 Pontiac Montana AWD STD from North America

Engine and transmission STD Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles

Summary:

Would buy another new one, if they still made them!

Intake manifold gasket needed replaced at 100k.

General Comments:

We have 120,000+ miles on the car. I use Mobil 1 in it, and, change the oil regularly (3000 miles). Have had NO appreciable problems w/it! (Except for the NORMAL wear and tear that you would expect from a vehicle w/120k+ miles.

I ALSO own a 2003 Hyundai Elantra (which I JUST love). It's like a tank! Have hit 4 deer with it so far, and, have driven it away EVERY time (usually $2000 damange per).

The ONLY thing that bothers me about the Elantra, is that the FULL SIZED Montana gets WAY BETTER gas mileage than the Elantra.

Review Date: 15th February, 2008

2002 Pontiac Montana Extended 3.4 from North America

Previous carBuick Reatta

Summary:

Comfortable, Reliable, and Economical

Had to have A/C condenser replaced at 105,000, and a battery at 110,000.

General Comments:

Maybe I've been lucky after reading the other reviews. This has been a solid and dependable vehicle for me. I've maintained it properly and have been very pleased with the performance, gas mileage and comfort. I think the 3800 engine would have helped, the 3400 doesn't have the torque for going up hills. Overall I've put on around 80,000 miles with good results so far.

Review Date: 17th January, 2008

2002 Pontiac Montana 3.4 from North America

Previous carChevrolet Camaro

Summary:

There should have been a general recall on this van

My transmission was rebuilt at 91000kms, 2000kms after purchase.

My hatch handle broke in the same week.

The both front bearings started making a noise at approx 99000kms, and now the head gasket let go!

This week we got the head gasket fixed and 2 wheel bearings!

General Comments:

This van is extremely comfy to drive, and handles exceptionally well. Very easy to drive, even for the Miss's.

I'm a hardcore GM fan, I own a 94 Z28, and a 95 sierra Z71, however not very happy with this lemon we got called MONTANA... therefore,.

Next week, it will be traded!!!

Review Date: 14th November, 2007

2002 Pontiac Montana van from North America

Previous carChrysler Intrepid

Summary:

Very low - do not invest in a GM, or at least stay away from Pontiac - very poor quality vehicle

Purchased van Fall 2003; first air conditioner condenser replaced in Summer, 05 when a.c. failed (only 2nd summer in van - 52,000 miles). I live in northern Ohio and thought this was too early given the limited use the a.c. had seen, but the dealer said it was out of warranty and there was nothing they could do. This summer, 2007, the a.c. began warming up again and I assumed it merely needed to be recharged. Wrong!... needs another new condenser (86,000 miles) - estimate $838.00! Including the first condenser which came with the van brand new, this will be the van's third condenser in four years. Also, the gaskets were leaking oil. This week I had to pay $848.00 to have that repaired. I'm also looking at a new gas sending unit for at least $ 648.00. Initially, the dealer assured me it was not related to a minor rear end collision (I did not want the other driver paying for it if it wasn't). Pontiac said the GM shop told them it may be!!! Pontiac would not concede that 3 a.c. condensers in 4 years was unreasonable and kept quoting warranty limits to me. I talked to two different customer reps at Pontiac. They refused to let me talk with anyone else. It has been a nightmare, both in terms of cost and dealing with Pontiac. A local dealer has said he would discuss my condenser with their district manager, but could make no promises. I'm awaiting his answer. If they tell me they don't think this represents an unusual repair incidence, I don't know where I'll turn next.

General Comments:

"Money Pit" on wheels. Very low quality vehicle and Pontiac shows a shocking level of indifference to the problems.

Review Date: 11th October, 2007

2002 Pontiac Montana awd 3.4 from North America

Previous carJeep Grand Cherokee

Summary:

Avoid purchasing

Major Transmission failure at 32000Kms.

Both front wheel hubs failed with in the first year.

Computers out of sync causing fuel pump to stop and random stalling.

Driver Power seat control / motor failed.

General Comments:

This vehicle has been very unreliable. In the first 5 years of ownership, this brand new vehicle had left my family stranded 5 times.

The last time the vehicle would not start due to the computers not interfacing with each other, happened at a GM service center while getting an oil change. The technician actually came to my wife and asked how to start the car. This random stalling had happened 2 times before this event, and both times they could not find out what the cause was, and nothing was fixed. Eventually they tried to blame us for jumping or boosting the car, causing the computers to lose their sync. As it happened, the battery was dead the day we picked it up, and it was the GM dealer who I guess did it incorrectly.

The UAS child car seat anchors are so poorly designed for a "family van". UAS is only available on the 2 outer seats. This van has a third row of seats, that if you have 2 children using the UAS seats, you cannot access the rear row of seats. - absolutely ridculas. This was also not the only GM product that has this most ridculas feature. When renting a Tahoe XL, the same issue was observed.

Just had the read disc brakes fail, to find out that the PAD replacement ONLY was going to cost $285 plus tax. - Crazy.

Review Date: 5th May, 2007