2003 Pontiac Sunfire SL 2.2 from North America

Fully satisfied

At 50000 Km, the check engine light came on and was fixed by dealer under warranty.

General Comments:

We bought this car new and drove 81000Km in 3 years. I recently traded it for a Malibu because my kids are all adult size now.

I cannot say I love it, but I am 100% satisfy with this car, when factor in the purchase price, maintenance cost (the owner manual even suggest no wheel alignment is needed) and fuel economy.

The engine had more than enough power with reasonable fuel economy. The air conditioning is cool good and the heatin in winter is also quick to pump out warm air.

The only maintenance I did was oil and filter change (by myself). After 81K, the engine still as smooth as new. May be the Japanese cars are a year or two better in quality. However, they cost a lot more and I believe the difference in price is more than the difference in quality.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2006

2003 Pontiac Sunfire from North America

There is a horrible , unexplained odor in the car.

General Comments:

The car was fine for 10 months. I am now afraid to drive it.

Review Date: 8th November, 2004

9th Nov 2004, 11:09

Have you checked the trunk for bodies?

14th Nov 2004, 19:36

The odor remains.

The dealership has tried everything. and found no leaks, nor previous dead bodies. The car has been stripped twice. A new rear seat was installed, plus new underlay. (The smell was worse in the back part of the car.)

The interesting thing is that the service manager showed me a document from GMAC saying that there has been odors in the Sunfire,and two other GMAC cars, and instructions on what to do. Nothing said about "Why',or the source of the problem.

I have just gotten the car back after ten days of driving a rental. The dealership says the new seat etc. has solved the problem. Yeah, right!

The odor remains, and I do not want to drive it. Now what???

18th Nov 2004, 16:34

What about taking the back seat OUT of the car and leaving it out to see whether that is where the smell is coming from?

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2 Door Coupe 2 L from North America

Great first car

Recall from manufacture on electrical plug seal.

Right rear tail light socket messing up. Light quits working and I have to pull the bulb out and put it back in to get it to work. I have cleaned it, but keeps messing up. I am taking it to the dealer.

General Comments:

This is a very good car for a young couple or teenager. Nice get up and go. You can get a lot of extras and with the manufacture rebates I got a lot of car for $14,000. Seating is average, not recommended using for going cross country. It will wear you out. I am 45 years old and it just don't have the comfort that a mid or fullsize car would have. But it is half the price.

Review Date: 23rd July, 2004

2003 Pontiac Sunfire SLX from North America

Great little car for daily driver

General Comments:

We like the car. Ours is a 4 door. roomy and comfortable.

This is our second sun fire we had a 1999 2 door before. we sold it with 185,000 KMS. The last one was pretty good too us. We are planning to drive to Florida in 2004.

Review Date: 25th November, 2003

2003 Pontiac Sunfire from North America

This car is my life

The only things that were wrong with the car were a loose bearing on one of the rear tires, loose exhaust pipe, and occasional flats. Don't worry, it's only because I put my car through a lot. I'm shocked it's still in its good shape.

General Comments:

The car has a fast take-off.

Comfortable reclining seats.

The car cuts off at 107.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2003

2003 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L 16v from North America

Excellence in a small package

I have had no problems with this car.

I have had one recall, but the dealer handled that for me.

General Comments:

This car gains speed quickly and handles great!

The interior room is perfect for two people or couples with small children.

Not comfortable for four adults.

I bought this car with the safety of a future family.

Review Date: 12th September, 2003

14th Feb 2007, 17:30

We are a family of Three, so my wife and I take the front, and my three year old has the back seat. However I would not want to try and get two car seats in it. Also when my son gets in his seat, he gets his feet all over the back of the seat. Living in Canada, he gets snow all over the seat. I bought seat covers to solve that problem. Cheap fix from wal-mart. Great car other than that. Handles well in the snow.

2003 Pontiac Sunfire SE 2.2L 4 cylinder. from North America

This car has a lot of bang for your buck

Nothing at all.

General Comments:

This car is amazingly quick for being an economy car! It handles great, and it's comfortable.

Review Date: 21st July, 2003

2003 Pontiac Sunfire CP 2.2 lit 16v from North America

Not worth it

In my first six months of ownership, I have had the following problems.

Three burnt out turn signal bulbs.

Exterior molding falling off.

Keyless entry not working.

Clicky/Pingy Engine Noise.

Programmed radio stations switch where programmed by itself. (i.e. 102.1 is program "5" but switches to "6")

Sqeaky Brakes.

Grinding Brakes.

Car pulls right very badly.

General Comments:

This car is more of a hassle than my 1987 Ford Escort that had 118,000 miles on it.

Review Date: 14th March, 2003

27th Jan 2006, 17:07

Sorry to tell you, but most of these problems are your fault, for one you probably drove over a curve or something similar and a) put the vehicle out of alignment or b) bent the frame! Were you in an accident? The radio issue was probably because you are too rough with the radio button and might`ve broken something wiring switch etc...! The key less entry might have a dead battery or it may need to be reprogrammed if it was dropped or left in the cold! Thanks for your time!

2nd Oct 2006, 18:08

First of all its the FIRST YEAR this model was made... its going to have problems and recalls are prone to ANY first model car.

Get an alignment done! it could be simple so simple to you running into a curb which was already mentioned or an accident.

27th Feb 2008, 20:43

Check the lower control arm bushing on the passengers side for the pulling, mine went and I didn't hit anything. as for the engine noise, oil change with some Lucas into it might cure it. signal bulbs, check wiring.