2001 Renault Clio Dinamique 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

Cheap, trendy, just don't go to fast in it

My car will not start on cold mornings when it does it fires on 1-2 cylinders until I apply the accelerator and it eventually stutters into life.

I have already had 2 ignition coil failures. £50 for a piece of plastic with some copper coiled inside it seems ridicules, I guess dealers know how to make money.

General Comments:

The Clio is a smart looking car, the interior is smart and sturdy.

My only concern is for anyone looking to buy this car to go fast in, the handling really isnt that good, I felt safer in my previous car and the tires were literally half as wide.

Don't get me wrong it grips, but I have never been in a front wheel drive car that has so much over steer. With the power on it goes deep into corners under steering like most FWD cars, but with the power off or under brakes it becomes twitchy and the ABS clearly cannot handle this.

In general a very good car, well equipped, trendy and surprisingly quick especially over 50mph in 4th or 5th gears.

Review Date: 18th May, 2004

2001 Renault Clio Sport 2.0 from UK and Ireland

Descent car. good performance

No headlamp washers in.

No cartridge in the CD changer.

Bald spare.

Needed new exhaust.

General Comments:

To start off with I was very happy with my car as I didn't really no what I was looking for when I bought it. someone pointed out straight away to me that all the things that I have mentioned were missing. I took the car back to the dealer and they sorted the faults out, so they were quite helpful. The car is back in the garage at the moment tho, getting a new exhaust on. All the things that were wrong on the car should have been corrected on the pre-inspection to me, taken the hand over of the vehicle. Apart from these faults I love the car. Its power is superb, being a 2 liter engine in such a small car does the trick. handles as well. happy with the sound system too. dealers have been alright when I have taken the car back (several times) but it should have all been done first time around in my opinion.

Review Date: 26th April, 2004

2001 Renault Clio dCi 1.5 from UK and Ireland

Clio - As good as it gets

Nothing, however there have been 2 recalls from Renault; one for a potential engine fault and the second for a potential wiring fault. Both issues resolved by very attentive and efficient dealership with exemplary speed.

General Comments:

Amazing acceleration for a diesel. Common rail technology does not only stop the car sounding like a tractor, it really gives a fast and smooth ride.

As a first car it also offers low insurance as well as smart, fashionable looks in pearlescent black.

Sport suspension and seats make the Clio feel solid, safe and comfortable on long journeys and the handling both urban and motorway is very responsive. You can through it around or just cruise; it sticks to the road no matter what.

Either way it averages over 55 mpg and that has to be a good deal.

Review Date: 13th April, 2004

16th Dec 2006, 08:02

All very fair points in general, but make sure you get the bonnet clasp checked. If not you maybe unlikely like me and find yourself driving along and the bonnet flying open onto the windscreen. This does a lot of damage most of which your insurer will refuse to pay for.

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

Totally unreliable car/dealer combination

Scratch on bumper from new, was parked against a high kerb so it could not be readily seen.

Squeaky drivers seat, which was changed, but still gives minimum support to the back.

Lumbar support faulty on drivers seat.

Rear wiper and mirrors intermittent fault.

Engine cutting out whilst driving, particularly dangerous whilst at motorway speeds. Occurred at least 5 times before fault was remedied.

Compression failed on one of the pistons.

Manifold pressure sensor failed.

All have happened within the first 28,000 miles.

General Comments:

After sales service is appalling, neither the dealer nor Renault UK cared about the engine cutting out whilst driving. I felt this was a safety issue with the vehicle. Each blamed the other.

Vehicle was handed in for another fault with the engine and on return 2 dents were found on the front of the bonnet. The dealer denied this had anything to do with them. The bonnet catch was not properly secure and had I not checked this myself the bonnet could have flipped up into the windscreen whilst driving home.

Review Date: 6th April, 2004

16th Jan 2005, 13:38

I live in the Caribbean and bought my Clio from the local dealer in 2002. It is a 2001 model and has been such a pleasure to drive. Recently I had to change 2 sensors because the car was cutting off, but these days it is becoming ridiculous. I have to shift the gears in the gear box for the car to start. The dealer said that the key is faulty so I have began using the spear key, but the problem has not been fixed. I believe that these Renaults have serious transmission problems.