2001 Renault Clio Authentique 1.5 dCi 65 from France

Summary:

Very economic and versatile small car

Very few things went wrong.

When I got the car there was a problem with the tail lights: it's the rear fog lights that would be turned on instead of the tail lights when switching them on. I didn't realize it right away, but after being told off by several people I took the car to the local Renault dealership. They didn't understand what I meant in the first place (not easy to notice the difference in daylight) but I insisted and they finally fixed it. Cost 50 euros.

Otherwise there was a recall from Renault. They had to replace something in the engine (don't know exactly what). I didn't pay anything for that, but I know it was quite a big repair though. It affected all cars of these series (early dCi models without air conditioning).

The battery went dead this winter. It had been below -10°C for several days and the car wasn't used to that.

I also had the windshield washer pump replaced at 78000 km, a simple repair for 19 euros.

General Comments:

This is an excellent car, probably the most versatile small car at the moment.

It's very pleasant to drive and the comfort is also quite good for a car that size: comfortable front seats, little road noise even at 130 km/h.

The engine is only 65 hp, but the turbo does the job and has the necessary oomph to insert in traffic smoothly.

Fuel economy is just awesome. Needs only 5 liters of diesel to cover 100 km (47 mpg).

The noise of the engine is nothing compared to that of a VW TDI.

This one is a basic version so there is no air conditioning or CD player and I regret it (especially in summer).

The backseat isn't roomy at all. It's very uncomfortable for adults to seat in the back.

Review Date: 17th June, 2005

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique+ 1.5 dCi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Superb, economic, easy to drive, fun car

So far as I am aware, there have been, and still are, no problems with the car, although I do tend to use a lot of tyres (this may be my driving).

General Comments:

Despite having traveled over 45000 miles in this vehicle, and considering that I tend to throw it all over the road, I am amazed that I have had no problems whatsoever with it.

I drive over 250 miles per week to work during the rush hour traffic. This consumes a very respectable 67 mpg (confirmed by my own records). It is possible, and I have recorded, on trips of over three hundred miles, to raise this to well over 80 mpg. I must admit that this is almost entirely on motorways, keeping to around 56 mph, but it (coincidentally?) equated to exactly one thousand miles to the tank if I had kept it up.

When I'm in a hurry, not many average cars on the road will out-accelerate it, and, despite the official figures, the car will travel at well over 100 mph if required.

I was very impressed with the interior and accessories. I spent a little extra on the climate control and metallic paint, but the garage threw in the alloy wheels and the 1 years free insurance. The front seats adjust adequately for comfort, and the back seats fold down neatly for that extra luggage space. Students will love that they can get everything that they need when moving out into the back, get one passenger in AND see through the rear view mirror.

The car sticks to the road under most circumstances, and the 'sports' suspension is a joy over rough terrain or through potholes on the road. Even I haven't managed to slide or lose control yet.

Overall, a joy to drive, passenger, or just to sit in! I would definitely buy another one; I just need to wait until it finally breaks down!

Review Date: 7th January, 2005