2001 Renault Clio 1.2 16V Dynamique from UK and Ireland

Passenger seat air bag deployed without cause while traveling along a straight road. Shock of deployment resulted in swerving reaction and tire striking kerb. Dealership not interested referred to Renault UK. Renault UK were not interested, implied that I had struck the kerb first causing the bad to deploy. They told me to take up with insurance. I stand to loose 4 years no claims bonus as a result of faulty mechanism on the vehicle. There appears to be a complete lack of concern from Renault as to the possible dangers of such unexpected deployment. The issue will now be passed to my lawyers to resolve.

General Comments:

I will never buy another Renault car again as I expect more safety awareness from such a major car manufacturer.

Review Date: 19th September, 2003

12th Mar 2010, 11:29

This has just happened to my daughter with exactly the same response from Renault. There appears to be no appeal, and the company's stance is that the computer said authorised deployment. However the manager could not tell us of any that the computer has said that there was a faulty deployment! Perhaps the computer does not have that programmed in?

I would like to take this further, and am looking for others to come forward if you know of people this has also happened to.

2001 Renault Clio sport 172 2.0 16v from UK and Ireland

Fun while it lasted - now a nightmare

Considering how much fun this car is I have been driving it like an old fart. So at 26000 miles when it broke down I was very surprised.

I checked the engine and found the pulley belt failed therefore I thought it was going to be straight forward belt replacement.

£3000 later the 'car' is back on the road.

Renault in their wisdom have designed the 2.0 engine so that if the pulley belt breaks (Even at 5 miles an hour) for any reason (E.g. failure of the: water pump; alternator; power steering pump; air con unit or for that matter the belt itself just breaks).. Then there is a high chance of the timing belt getting fowled up as well. This in turn causes the values all 16 of them to crash into the rest of the engine.

In short the dealerships get a tidy little repair job of rebuilding the top of the engine because a glorified fan belt breaks...

General Comments:

If you live in London don't use Renault West London. They don't follow even simple requests and when you ask what caused the problem even their workshop manager just says "it just happens". The most frustrating company I have ever spent £3000 with.

If you have a warranty with Renault they basically just cover the initial part that broke not the rest of the damage... for me it was a power steering pump, and if you know anything about the car industry you can be sure Renault will get than money back from it's supplier.

Review Date: 2nd August, 2003

9th Apr 2007, 06:05

The ClioSport is a fun little car... at a cost. The engine and gearbox are great, but it's the little things - the rattles, the electric problems, the expensive servicing - that let it down.

I thought it may just be a one-off, but everyone seems to have these same problems.

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v from Greece

A good car for a fair price

The car gave me no real trouble so far.

The only real problem was that 2 of the electric windows mechanisms broke, but they were replaced by the dealer for free (as part of the guarantee).

General Comments:

The car has prooven extremely stable on the road and driving it surely is a pleasure.

The 76hp, 1200cc strong engine is reasonably powerful and gives a somewhat sporty attitude to the car when pushed above 3.500rpm, although I feel like I should have opted for the 98hp, 1400cc engine.

Gas cunsumption is also low (6.4liters / 100Km), concerning the bad roads I am using (lots of mountain tracks with slopes and curves).

Review Date: 10th June, 2003