2001 Renault Clio Grande 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

OK - would buy another one

Accelerator cable snapped.

TDC sensor.

Squeaky brakes,

General Comments:

Car is OK, I've been quite happy with it for the 6 years that I have had it from new.

Only recently I've had trouble starting the car. 3 times now it fails to fire up. It turns over OK, but fails to fire up. A problem with the TDC sensor I have heard.

Review Date: 26th June, 2007

2001 Renault Clio 1.5 from UK and Ireland

I have a Renault Clio for the past few years now, and had no problems at all with it until recently.

When I was driving to work one morning, the orange coil light - indicating an electric fault - came on. The car immediately slowed down and seem to just roll. No power at all in it.

I had it towed to the main dealer (upon advice from my own mechanic as it was an electric fault). The main dealer had the car for 3 weeks. They said initially that it was the throttle (the fault showed up on some computer) and got a new one for me. They put in it, but it didn't work. They then got a second one, but that didn't work either.

Eventually they re-programed something and that apparently sorted it. I had the car back for 2 weeks and the exact same thing happened again. It was towed back to them. the main mechanic just informed me that it still appears that the throttle isn't functioning (according to the computer) but he cannot guarantee this.

If he tries it, it will cost me between €300 and €400. If this doesn't work, they will have to do a bigger job with reprogramming which will cost in the region of €700-800. He's telling me that it's just basically a chance they are taking with the throttle and cannot guarantee anything!!! I'm so annoyed now as I feel I'm left with no option but to go with this.

I'm surprised that main dealers treat people in this way. You rely and pay them for their expertise, and hope they can solve the problem, instead of paying out a fortune on something that they won't even guarantee will work. Has anyone else had this experience?? I love this car, but the whole thing is stressing me out at this point.

Review Date: 2nd May, 2007

9th Aug 2007, 09:18

Hello, I am having the exact same problem!!! I have a 1.2 16v 2001 Clio. This coil light started coming on about a month ago now so I had a service, as it was due one, to see if this would help. Initially the light did stop coming on, but now it has returned. It seems to happen in low gears (1st sometimes 2nd) edging along in traffic or if I am idle in traffic or at the lights etc. Initially the coil light just came on and I lost power, but if I revved the engine the power would come back and the light went out. Now the coil light comes on and then it stalls completely. I restart it fine and then rev and the light goes out. I really cannot afford to get this fixed if it is as bigger problem as you have described. I'm wondering whether I should just cut my losses and get rid. I have seen loads of similar stories, but not as exact as you describe and loads of possibilities have been mentioned such as needing new leads to needing whole new ECUs. Please keep me updated on your progress, as will I.

2001 Renault Clio RXT 1.4 16v from Ecuador

Summary:

Nice, agile, dependable car

The suspension started vibrating strongly under braking once you are past 100 Km/h. This problem actually started right after the car went in for service. So I am blaming the dealer. They did a terrible job, charged me about USD $1350, and stole a few things. My sunglasses, CD case with several music CD's that were important to me, and managed to damage one of the rear doors in the process.

The chip inside the key failed, so I had to get a new one imported from France. It took over a month to get it, and it meant I had to fork out another $300.

Had to replace the lights. I guess they had served enough time to warranty that.

General Comments:

Even though I totally hate the dealer, I feel this car is one of the nicest cars among compact hatchbacks. The engine, even though it's only a 1.4 liters engine, pulls out 98HP, which makes it an agile car.. It accelerates quickly, and it's good at overtaking, even though it's a bit short on torque. The suspension is a bit soft for my tastes, so even though it makes for some better comfort, it doesn't corner as nicely as you would want it to. Interior space isn't really that good, specially on the rear seats, but it's OK for me, since I am single, and I don't carry many people inside most of the time.

Reliability is a strong point on this car. Apart from the chip inside the key failing, I've never had to be towed, or even assisted on the road. The engine feels solid and well built, it should serve well for a long time. I am thinking about changing it for a newer car, probably a Chevrolet Optra, mostly because of the high prices and terrible service in the dealer. Thanks to them, I'll never buy a Renault again, even though I think they are nice cars, and good value for the money.

Review Date: 15th December, 2006