2001 Renault Clio Reviews - Page 8 of 21

2001 Renault Clio BL 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carVauxhall Corsa

Summary:

The car is substandard and completely rubbish; worst decision I've ever made was buying a Renault

Electrics - Multiple electrical failures costing hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

Brakes - Worn out really fast and needed replacing.

Battery - Battery always low and doesn't correspond with alternator very well.

General Comments:

The car is prone to electrical faults, which Renault apparently charges what it wants for a temporary fix. No one ever seems to know what's really going on. I wouldn't recommend a Renault to anyone; there is lack of thought in their design, which ends up expensive for the owner.

Review Date: 30th January, 2008

2001 Renault Clio Sport 1.2 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.2 16v Automatic

Summary:

Disappointed with the car

Engine management light

Electrics light.

General Comments:

I bought the car in May 2007, and since then I haven't had a problem.

It's a clean comfortable car, although recently she started vibrating/juddering. I was told she might be off one of the cylinders, or the spark plugs needed to be changed. I got the spark plugs changed and when I went to start the car again, it was even worse and the engine management light stayed on this time, and also light came on for electrics. So at the moment I don't know what's wrong with it. It's currently off the road. Does anyone have any advice for me??

Review Date: 10th December, 2007

2001 Renault Clio 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001

Summary:

Lovely city car, but worrying electrical problems in cold weather

Dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree while driving and engine cuts out after cold night.

General Comments:

I love my 51 plate Clio which I bought in December 2004, during a cold weather spell. Quickly noticed that after an extremely cold night, the car does start normally, but without warning the dashboard sometimes lights up like a Christmas tree and the engine cuts out (great fun when you're on a round about).

8/10 times, it sorts itself out, but I have had to turn the ignition key off and then back on to restart the engine.

After all of the dashboard's light have come on, it resets the mileage counter to zero!

When I bought the car, it was still under a 1 year warranty so had it checked over several times, but no problem was ever found. Eventually forced them to try to do something about it: they extended the wiring and then they agreed to change the whole dashboard; last year (2006) wasn't too cold so didn't have the problem; Guess what, it's happening again!

This only seem to be happening in cold days. Any idea on what it the problem as Renault doesn't.

Review Date: 24th October, 2007

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001

I've had this Clio 1.4 Dynamique for 2 months now and had nothing, but trouble.

Firstly my steering rack completely snapped on me (luckily I wasn't driving fast), which cost me £250 to replace.

Then it failed on its MOT, due to ball joints!

I've just notice a humming sound from the back of the car!... Found out that the brake is rubbing when the back wheel is moving!

There is a rattle sound coming from under the bonnet when I'm driving!! Haven't got a clue what that is!

Now my engine management light has come on; the engine sounds fine and runs fine??? I've got it booked for a diagnostic test; not looking forward to the result!! Not happy!!

Review Date: 11th October, 2007

2001 Renault Clio 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Most recent distance72000 miles
Previous carFiat Uno

Summary:

At this moment... rubbish!!!

Low revs and stalling in traffic jams.

Not starting.

General Comments:

Hi, just wondered if anyone can help. I continue to have problems with my Clio Grande.

It has been to the garage 3 times, but the problem continues. Sometimes it will just not start. There seems to be no pattern to when this is more likely to occur. It always starts, sometimes on the second attempt, sometimes 2 minutes later or up to 20 minutes. It started around the time we had all the rain in the summer, so I thought it was something to do with that, but it continues.

Now it is also losing revs when in stationary traffic and will stall. I keep it going by putting acceleration on. I need to take it back to the garage, but this is an expense I can't afford. Any ideas??

Review Date: 1st October, 2007