2001 Renault Clio Reviews - Page 7 of 21

2001 Renault Clio Expression 1.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.2 petrol Manual
Most recent distance62000 miles

Summary:

A total waste of money

The leaky sunroof, yet another Clio with this problem. Have spent a few hundred pounds and it still leaks. Renault says it needs new cassette, but the problem is due to a fault with the sunroof itself and the strength of the roof metals so I was told.

Immobiliser failing to work correctly due to water leak from the sunroof.

Doors misaligned specially the passenger.

General Comments:

Renault should take notice of all the problems with the sunroof problems, not only in the Clio, but also the Laguna and Megane.

Review Date: 9th March, 2008

2001 Renault Clio 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001

Summary:

A complete liability

I have a Clio 1.2 16v, which can cut out at any time and then run at a max of 20mph. This has been happening since I've had it, and the garage know it's the coil rack every time.

It's come to the point where I'd rather find some other means of transport, and will be replacing the car as soon as finances allow.

I think Renault should come clean and admit there's a major problem with this model.

Review Date: 29th February, 2008

2001 Renault Clio RXT 1.4 16v from Turkey

Engine and transmission 1.4 16v Automatic
Previous carRenault 11

Summary:

More than I supposed

When I had the first service as soon as I bought, the service dealers told me about the magnetic captor that it needs to be changed. Had it changed the day I bought my car.

After about 2000 kilometers, that magnetic captor broke down again. I had it changed again after 1 month.

At 82,000 kilometers, the roller on the trigger set broke down with an annoying sound. Had it changed.

At 82,000 kilometers, the remote control lost the frequency, without knowing what to do, I made a simple search on the Internet and got an assistance from a private locksmith to synchronize the remote unit and the car.

The sunroof leaked last week. I had the maintenance myself. Cleaned the emptying canals and the rails, they were very dirty and blocked with leaves etc. It doesn't leak anymore.

General Comments:

It is more comfortable than I thought. I had long journeys (11 hours at least) 3 times, didn't have backache or else. And the sound of engine is low that I only hear the engine after 4000rpm.

The performance is quite good. 98hp engine gives the performance after 3500 rpm best. Since this is an Automatic Gear car, when I kick-down, I get what I want.

Backseats are not so large that when there are 2 or 3 people on the backseats, the front seats need to be slided forward.

Petrol consumption is very good for a 98hb automatic car. The rate at motorways is 6,2lt/100kms.

The grip is very good. At high speeds, it can be handled easily.

ABS and airbags make the driver and passengers feel safe.

Review Date: 20th February, 2008

2001 Renault Clio Expression 1.2 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.2 16v Manual

Summary:

Temperamental, but loveable

Catalytic converter decided to break at 59,000 miles; wouldn't go above 2000 revs/ rattling/ severe lose of power - had it replaced at local garage for £200. Renault wanted to charge £400 just for the part!

Rattling sunroof (soon fixed-coat inside of hinge with Vaseline!).

Central locking - drivers door motor.

Boot light - stays on.

Thermometer - is always 40c and above (eay - £15, located behind mirror in wing mirror, soon to be fitted).

Emissions light had been on for two weeks - had diagnostic test, no fault found. Garage cleared the error message and light now off. Whatever you do, DO NOT go to a Renault dealership!

Wouldn't start, called AA, then mysteriously started when they got to me. Looks like a faulty connection between ignition cable and starter motor - AA man told me it's a common problem and showed me the stupid design - the cable just pushes onto starter motor, there's no clip to keep it in place.

General Comments:

After everything that has gone wrong, I still love my Clio!

Comfortable for driver and passengers.

Love the vision - great as a first car.

Sticks to the road.

Great for short people - I'm 5ft and can see everything.

Review Date: 17th February, 2008