2001 Renault Clio 172 2.0 16v 'F4R-736' from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Incredible, awesome, fantastic!

The rubber thumb-grip on the right side of the steering wheel was peeling.

The hazard light switch was broken (you could turn them on, but not back off).

The engine blew when I had the timing belt done (poorly done job), so I had it replaced.

General Comments:

The car is awesome to drive! At first you think it's small and the pedals are offset, but after about 10 minutes this isn't an issue.

It is unbelievably fast, especially when you consider it only makes 124kW of power. It's easily got enough grunt to stomp any pre-03 WRX, for example.

It is the best handling FWD car in the world in my opinion. Into a corner, on the power, don't lift, keep your foot in it, it lifts the outside rear wheel, and goes round like it's on rails, no under or over steer, just perfect line cornering.

And it can out-brake a 360 Modena 100-0km/h. As Clarkson put it in his review, "Impossible to go faster for less."

Review Date: 14th July, 2008

2001 Renault Clio Dynamic 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Disappointingly unreliable for a modern car

Hi Clio owners.

We have 2, both 2001 Dynamics. The 1st one has recently had the electronic light/preheat light staying on, which prevents the engine from starting. Had it on the computer; no obvious faults. Having checked the wiring in the black box, put a new relay in and cleaned the jet throttle bodies, for 30 pounds at a local garage. Problem sorted.

2nd Clio is occasionally cutting out at junctions, but it still has the black box on. Best left off again. I need to check the wiring and get the throttle bodies cleaned; will post results.

General Comments:

Great looking car, has a lot of toys, but poor design faults let it down.

Review Date: 14th June, 2008

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Crap

Engine management light at 41,000 miles.

General Comments:

This car is a pain; the orange light comes on all the time while driving and cuts the car off. If I attempt to slow down, it's dangerous to me and other road users. I think we should all protest, and all people with this problem should come and protest outside the main dealer, to really let them know we mean business. Let me know if you all wanna do it.

Review Date: 14th May, 2008

16th May 2008, 03:29

Lol mines the same lol cuts out whenever I slow down lol.. only done 52k miles and it does it almost every time I stop!!! really god damn annoying! lol i'm up 4 protesting lol but not sure that we will get anywhere though lol... ;)

Richard.

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2 16v from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Worrying Clio issues are very depressing, and not good if Renault want to sell new cars to owners

Service warning light constantly on.

Airbag warning light constantly on.

General Comments:

I have owned a 1.2 16V Clio for three years now, and last year the service light came on and wouldn't go out.

It magically went out of its own accord, until last week when it came back on, along with the airbag warning light.

I've been looking online for some advice before going to a dealer (I worked for various franchised main dealers for 25 years, so I know how bad/expensive they can be, and am very suspicious).

This site has blown me away with the amount of problems which seem to occur time and time again, with the same regularity.

I can't wait to get rid of my Clio before any more problems arise.

I will now not buy another Renault again, period.

It is bad enough to find the bonnet could open up on me without any warning, but to find that maybe no Renault dealer/specialist may be able to cure my problem and charge me extortionate amounts to do so very worrying.

I was offered 1,900 pounds for it by a Citroen dealer, which I didn't think was enough. I may just go back now and take their money!

Review Date: 15th March, 2008

24th May 2008, 16:38

I have EXACTLY the same problem with my car!! Both the Service light and the air bag light have come on and won't go away!

I don't know how to get rid of them, so any advice would be appreciated!!

Thanks.