2001 Renault Clio RXT 1.4 16v from Turkey

Summary:

Easy to use

I bought it at 78000 kms. The brake pads were bad and had them changed first, and the first trouble I had with this car was the magnetic sensor. The engine denied starting on the day I bought.

After a big accident I had, the nightmare started. Thought I could have it fixed as it was before the accident, but no. The biggest mistake in my life was trying to have it repaired.

The dealer service is very expensive and they seem like they don't want to repair your "fixed by other service" car. I waited for a cable from the headquarters for 2 weeks. This made me go crazy, I walked to work on rainy days.

On the other hand, the maintenance can be done outside at a special mechanic; costs one third compared to dealer service.

General Comments:

It was full of specialties such as electric sunroof, auto locking doors, the consumption checker, comfortable front seats (I don't have a large family, no comment about the back seats), auto operating back wiper on Reverse gear etc.

The petrol consumption was fine, especially on the motorways. A full tank goes about 650 kms if you drive economically.

The engine surprised me first after my 72 hp Renault 11. When you kick down, you will be satisfied with the acceleration you get. It was not as rapid as a 1.6 16v 110 hp, but also not much slower than the 110 hp.

The brakes were also satisfying, at 140 kmh, when panic braking, the car doesn't go out of the way and the ABS does its job well.

I don't have a car now, and I want to buy a 2002-2003 1.4 16v Privilege.

Review Date: 13th January, 2010

2001 Renault Clio Dymanique 1.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

I have a 2001 Renault Clio 1.5 diesel, and have have problems with running smoothly and starting issues.

Renault were not very helpful, and did not fix it after the £65 cost to put on their diagnostic tool. It came up with some problems, which were cleared, and they said if it persisted, then they would look into it further, no doubt there would be another £63 for diagnostic before they even started.

Although the running problem has rectified itself, I'm sure I narrowed it down to a very dirty EGR valve. Take of the airfilter and you will see a sound thing sticking out above the turbo, 3 10mm bolts and pull it out. Plenty of WD40 and kitchen roll, looking back rubber gloves would have been helpful as it's that really sticky black grease gunking it up.

As described in many comments here, I have also had a starting problem where more often than not the heater light would not light up, but after several turns of the key it would work. So I cleaned the 3 little black relays under the bonnet on the passenger side, which were corroded, and used a small nail file in each hole the relays sit in and it work for a short while. I think the left one is the heater plug relay, middle is the fuel pump, and the right relay is the starter motor.

So I swapped the heater plug with the starter motor relay, and the heater plug lit up every time, but it would not start, so although the relay was clean of corrosion, I think it must be corroded inside, so I'm off to buy a new one on Monday. I've read on this forum that they cost about £15.

In short, if you have this problem, don't waste your time and money at Renault, and try these 2 things, it could save you a bundle as most comments here say that Renault think it's wiring loom or throttle body.

General Comments:

The car is general a very good car, it's just these few problems that let it down, and Renault have no idea about. They seem to try the most expensive thing first.

Review Date: 21st November, 2009

8th Dec 2010, 10:22

Just cleaned out the EGR valve on my 1.5 DCI & what a difference in performance. I bought the car the other day & found it to be very sluggish & a bit lumpy, so upon your good advice here I cleaned the EGR valve (very easy job by the way, if I can do it etc etc). It was all sooty, a small tip for anyone doing this job, there are 2 moving valves in the unit, make sure that you jam one of them open so as to clean the other & vice versa, it's self explanatory once you see the valve. Also it can be a little tight to come out of the housing, so you might have to price it out slowly.

The car is still a bit lumpy on idle, but 100% improvement on performance & I can live with that.

Thanks for the advice.