2001 Renault Clio Prestige 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Recommended as a town car

Coil on No3 cylinder replaced at 50000 miles.

General Comments:

Bought as a first car for my daughter; good handling, nice style and comfortable. The 1.4 has bundles of power for a first car.

Review Date: 1st December, 2010

2001 Renault Clio Extreme 1.2 petrol from UK and Ireland

I bought this car 3 months ago... My CD played straight away, the played up and says CD error...

I then took the car back as the clutch was slipping, and was told my warranty didn't cover this...

Just yesterday my car started juddering when driving slow or gear changes. I thought to myself this, might be something to do with the gear box???

Can anyone help by letting me know what this problem is if you have had the same problem?

Review Date: 1st June, 2010

2001 Renault Clio from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Not great

I have a Renault Clio 1.2 51 plate. I have owned the car since September, and have had continual problems.

First it flooded and had to have the sunroof resealed. This cost £160.

Then I have the same red squiggly electrical fault light coming on, that seems to be a common fault. There is no pattern to this, sometimes it comes on in the middle of driving, and at others when I am going slowly or just starting the car. If I can't rev the engine, the car cuts out. I have had this in the garage about 5 times, have called the RAC 2 times, and no one knows what's wrong. A few codes come up, but are not connected to anything.

I have recently had another fault where it cuts out any time I slow down or stop, and it was taking a while to restart. I had this repaired at Renault, costing £137. It was part of the engine misfiring. They told me this would fix the electrical light. However the cutting out has stopped, but just after leaving Renault, parking and starting the car again, the light is back!!!

I see this is a common fault; does anyone have any ideas as it's driving me mad?

Review Date: 5th May, 2010

16th May 2010, 11:59

I purchased a Clio 1.2 Billabong for my son recently, and have just started experiencing a problem that has already been mentioned in previous posts, but no remedy has been offered.

Basically when you turned the ignition key to start, all the relevant lights came on, but it wouldn't turn over. You just got a clicking noise. Anyway, after looking at another website, it was suggested that if you look at the starter motor, there are two attached wires; one thick red one from the battery and a thin white wire. If you get somebody to turn the ignition whilst wiggling the smaller wire, it should start. Anyway, tried this, and hey presto, success!! I was going to take it to a garage at who knows what cost, so was relieved to sort the problem at no money!!

In case that doesn't work, another suggestion was to change the battery in the key fob, as it may be strong enough to open the doors, but not enough to disengage the immobiliser.

Hope this works for anybody who has the same problem!!

2001 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Passenger car airbag deployed without impact. Renault charged for an inspection and we were told that the computer said it had approved deployment on impact. I am extremely worried that this is a grave safety issue and told Renault this. I have read other people have had this problem, and it appears this is the company's automated response to all. Please could anyone who this has happened to get in touch with me, and I will take this further.

Review Date: 12th March, 2010

15th Apr 2010, 07:02

Hitting a pot hole can cause airbags to deploy (search in Google). As the bags deploy with great force, it is possible to not notice the pothole due to the explosion, which would happen within Milli-seconds of impact. The sensors measure impact and deceleration, so in certain circumstances can trigger deployment and leave no visible cause.

The manufacturer in many cases can tell the speed of the car at time of deployment by taking out the ECU and testing the data. It is unlikely the manufacturer would fob you off over such an issue. There are plenty of cases on the Internet of such deployments regardless of manufacturer, I very much doubt that Renault are at fault here.