2004 Renault Megane Reviews

2004 Renault Megane Sedan 2.0 from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2012
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

Reliable, safe, comfortable and nice to drive, makes owning my Renault a real pleasure!

Nothing has gone wrong with the car.

General Comments:

I am thrilled to be a driver of a Renault. I am 19, and this is my second car. The only reason I got it, was because my grandfather gave it to me before he passed away. He used to work at a Renault dealership, so he knew a lot about the car.

My car drives so well, the ride is smooth, and it has good power when you need it. The car gives me a real sense of security whilst driving, and I am confident that I will have no issues with it, and will own the car for a long time.

It is a very luxurious model; the interior is full tan leather, which gives it a nice classy feel. Another bonus on this car, is that from what I have been told and seen on the Internet, is that it gets a very high score with crash test ratings. Apparently it is one of the safest cars in its class.

To sum up my review. I feel very lucky to have such a lovely car to drive. Thank you for making such an amazing car for me Renault.

From Emmy :)

Review Date: 4th October, 2012

2004 Renault Megane 1.5 dCi turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2004
First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.5 dCi turbo diesel Manual
Previous carRenault Laguna

Summary:

Very disappointed

Injection fault on dash. Won't start when cold.

Track rod ends failed at 80000 miles.

Now it won't start at all, not even with a little help from Easy Start.

General Comments:

So good on fuel, very nippy, very comfortable.

I love this car, it looks lovely.

Review Date: 20th March, 2011

2004 Renault Megane Sedan 1.6 16v from Lebanon

Model year2005
Engine and transmission 1.6 16v Automatic
Previous carMercedes-Benz 230

Summary:

Don't even bother thinking about it

I used to drive between 5000 and 6000 RPM all the time, so you should take the into consideration when reading the stuff below.

Within a few months, I got a problem with the transmission, it was changing gears very roughly, like I can hear and feel a big shock going on. It was an electrical problem and they just changed a chip on the warranty. (2005)

And once in 2008, I washed the car on the gas station, they moved the front seat because I didn't really move it for more than a year. A wire moved, and the airbag light went on. It was like the passenger airbag is turned off, even though after I asked about it, they said it was a false alarm.

And at the same time, I had a problem starting the car with the ignition. The mechanic taught me a way that if the car didn't start I just move the part and it will work again! I mean, what is that? Very weak stuff! I can change it and buy another, but he said it's no big deal.

After that, I started having problems with the engine, like when I stop at a crossroad, the engine revs, will just go to zero and not stop on 600! Also I could hear like I had a cylinder that is not working. I was in an area away from home, and the car broke down, I had to stop, and call the mechanic. It really sucks, I had to drive all the way, and afraid that the engine will just fail me on every stop.

After that last problem, I kept on going to the mechanics many times, and I replaced lots of parts in the engine. It was like a never ending cycle!

I don't drive much, so my car stays in the garage more than I drive it!

General Comments:

I bought the 1.6 16V petrol engine, and it's a Sedan.

So it was already a weak engine. What did the French do? They split the second gear into 2 gears! So when the RPM reaches 4,000 it goes back to 3,000 it's like an added half gear, to add fuel economy, but to kill the already weak power!

They didn't tell me that before I bought it!

So if you want to take it on mountain roads, even a bit of hill, it will give you problems especially if you have 3 or more people in the car.

The handling on highways is really good, even at high speeds, but I don't advise going fast in fast corners on water (because that's how the car died), unless you have add a rear wing. But still it's a big risk, especially here.

I had driven 24,000 kms in that car before crashing it.

I certainly don't advise anyone to buy Renault, the style is good, but the essential stuff, they are a real failure at. Buy a Subaru.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2010