Stylish family car, with poor build quality
- Wheel bearing for right front wheel needed to be replaced.
- Both front indicator sockets needed to replaced.
- Failing door handles, not working hands free.
- Horn not working.
OK lets just start with the good points of this car:
- Fantastic looks, both interior and exterior. Love it or hate it, I love it.
- Roomy passenger cabin for its class, good rear legroom.
- comfortable seats with fantastic headrests.
- The driving position is quite high, I'm in favor of that.
- Very well equipped for the price.
- The climate system works great, no draft what so ever.
- Drives comfortably on smooth roads.
- 6-speed gearbox, low engine noise at high speeds.
- Powerful and refined diesel engine.
- Engine sound is very well isolated from the passenger cabin.
- Very economical, 41mpg without driving like a granny.
- Powerful brakes.
- Superb radio control at steering wheel.
The bad points:
- Clunky gearbox.
- Unresponsive steering, no drivers car at all.
- Straight driving stability is poor, needs too much steering corrections.
- Suspension is rubbish on bad roads, car gets jumpy and makes clunky noises.
- Poor radio reception.
- Squealing breaks, especially when reversing.
- Rattles and squeaks in the interior, without radio you go crazy on bad roads!
- Poor build quality, interior and exterior.
- Renault dealership lacks professionalism and competence.
The Renault Megane is in general a good car, it has many good points that make you forgive the bad points. But it does have serious shortcomings that are mostly due to poor build quality, lack of decent quality control and the lousy Renault dealership.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No
Review Date: 6th May, 2007