2004 Renault Megane Dynamique 1.5 dCi from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Really nice car let down by the odd electrical gremlin

Sunroof refused to open or close - twice. Now fixed.

Keyless entry system

Electric window (rear). It dropped like a stone and wouldn't go up again.

One-touch electric window (front). Seems to have fixed itself.

Dreadful brake squeal. Unresolved.

Electric door mirror (intermittent fault). MAde a strange buzzing sound.

Digital dashboard window/panel (intermittent fault)

Auto wipers (intermittent fault).

Rear wiper (intermittent fault). Seems to have fixed itself.

General Comments:

Despite having had some problems I really like this car. It has many good qualities and it has never broken down. And the dealer has been extremely competent in fixing things. I have not reported all the faults because they don't always occur and I shall be buying another Megane soon.

The turbo diesel engine is an amazing piece of engineering. It's fast, economical and very refined.

It is extremely comfortable, the seats are very supportive on long journeys and the fabric is wearing well.

This car has masses of character, it is a very pleasant car to drive and I have no regrets buying it.

Overall I am a satisfied owner. However Renault need to spend a bit more effort ensuring all the electrics are robust. In my opinion they still have some work to do in this area. It will be interesting to see how 2006 Megane compares.

Review Date: 11th August, 2006

28th Aug 2006, 15:40

Renault Megane Dynamique purchased new July 2003

Problem experienced: difficulty in starting - engine turns over, but does not fire; immediately stalls; if revs maintained starts off running roughly. Intermittent fault - six attempts this year to remedy fault, but fault occurs again

-has occurred again 27/8. No other problems, but this fault makes the vehicle unreliable. Renault UK advised.

2004 Renault Megane 120 hp d from Norway

Summary:

Crap

Oil light keeps comiing on, and the oil is fine.

General Comments:

Well the car has failed on my scale!

The performance blatanlty stinks, if you put the pedal to the floor there is like a 2 second delay before it goes anywhere. I have to say that even the key is a pain n the ass it's a card key, its just outright annoying. my wife likes it, but she doesn't know squat about cars as long as its pretty I guess.

Handling like a boat out of water and forget about the traction control, we live in Norway where there's a lot of snow... forget about it.

Review Date: 27th April, 2006

8th May 2006, 00:36

You call it Crap because the oil light came on? and 2 seconds isn't that much time anyway, you are not driving a Renault F1 car..

9th May 2006, 05:42

Aw c'mon! the megs surely performs better than you're claiming...2sec! how fast is it taking YOU to press the accelerator tho???

9th May 2006, 14:56

Well I tell ya its been in for service 3 times cause of the oil light and they just can't seem to fix it.

The sound system stinks and compared to my 92 Peugeot which thankfully I still own, the acceleration really is crap!

Try merging onto a busy highway with a 2 second delay lately? When you hit the gas the car should go instantly like every other car I've owned in my life, which is about 24 cars (they are cheaper in the states).

So I will stand by my claims that the Megane is crap, sorry folks one mans opinion.

Jerry g.

2004 Renault Megane Dynamique 1.4 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

An ideal family car

Air conditioning malfunctioned at 7,000 miles.

Dashboard trim began to crumble at 17,000 miles.

General Comments:

So far the Megane has been a dependable and practical family car.

With just a 1.4 petrol engine, performance has hardly represented the cutting edge of excitement.

Interior is comfortable, but feels flimsy.

Fuel economy and all other running costs are relatively low.

Was great value at £10,700 and has so far proved to be worth every penny.

Review Date: 15th April, 2006