14th Dec 2012, 17:47

From an incurable Caraholic.

I am in the market for a Roller, after 40 odd years of motoring and motorcycling in many different makes and models, from vintage to hot rod, and many vanilla family type vehicles. Each was purchased or built by me for a specific purpose; recreation, rallying, touring, and so forth, all with their good and bad points. Now is the time for this silver haired old fox to buy something for myself to enjoy.

Marc Bolan summed it up quite succinctly, did he not?

I drive a Rolls Royce coz it's good for my voice.

15th Dec 2012, 10:28

If the engine's blown, maybe put in a basic drive train like a 350 GM. I remember a guy that took a Jaguar and put in a 351 Ford, and had a reliable daily driver. I guess you still have the electrical issues to address next. Maybe a painless wiring kit and new in dash electric retro look gauges. I would only do this if the Rolls was a roller, no motor or trans.

27th Feb 2013, 18:42

I purchased a 1984 Silver Spur last fall. Due to the winter, I have not driven it as much as I would like. But the times I have had it out, the drive has been unbelievable.

I also had to replace the upper radiator hose at a cost of $240.00, and additional an $100.00 for installation. But if you own a car like a Rolls, you have to figure it is going to cost you a pretty penny for upkeep.

I would to add that I have waited forty two years for my dream car.

2nd Mar 2013, 12:29

Wow, 340.00 for the easier to change upper radiator hose. How fair. I think if I paid that for a hose, I would worship it.

14th Dec 2013, 21:00

You got "hosed." Instead of buying a $300 hose from the factory, you should've gone to your local auto-parts store with the old hose in hand, and found a match. It may take a few hours, but you'll find one that's close, put it on yourself, and get out for under $30.

That's part of the magic of owning one -- avoiding being fleeced by the company, who will convince you that every part is magic and far too complex for the likes of YOU to fix yourself.

15th Dec 2013, 09:51

That's a drop in the bucket compared to some modern parts I have bought on high end imports. To some spending 300.00 is like buying a pencil to others. I lose more money than that driving my car to the shop and picking it up vs. being at work. Time is money also.

16th Dec 2013, 06:42

I have restored a # of cars. To put on correct for the period parts can be quite expensive. An item even as simple as an incorrect, very cheap aftermarket battery cable with cut off clamp added vs a molded battery cable can lose points in a car show. Some people do not want to put el cheapo parts on their car. My friend bought an el cheapo chrome bumper for his antique car and it rusted in 8 months! I like the correct molded hoses that do not collapse under hard acceleration on my cars.

7th Jul 2014, 05:10

I think your comments speak to what yearns in the heart of any person that has motoring passion. In such few words you described perfectly why we acquire and enjoy what our toil has purchased.

I am not a rich man, have had the sports bike and the Porsche 911s, the Benzes; have been on sailboats and ridden in Rollses. First one was a Phantom V many decades ago, owned by a now-deceased family friend. Second was a Silver Spirit owned by my Amway upline, who also owned the largest residential property in Glendale, CA.

I remember the smell of the interior and it was just coincidence that I occupied the rear right seat, as there was a comely young lass in the front right. I remember the locomotive style shove between 50 and 80 and wondering how nearly 3 tons could do this?

I can only say that we may be "afflicted" with burning gas, and of course there are more nobler ways of spending one's cash. They however are quite satisfying.

7th Jul 2014, 14:05

To me, this is an old car. But still not old enough to be a stand out. Or buy a new one. Same with Cadillac and Lincoln as well. A mid 80s car that likely cost less than a new Civic. To me a tired model.

8th Jul 2014, 20:29

The last of the regal Rolls cars. Not quite as "vintage" (in a sense) as the older Silver Shadows from 1965-78, rather, stately yet modern. All else that followed were just "bling." Imposing, but not elegant, just don't have that old aspirational look.