2001 Saturn SC 2 from North America

Summary:

Overall a very reliable car

Stock CD player died at 80,000 miles.

General Comments:

Definitely not a performance car.

Not much pick-up.

Also the dent-proof feature, not really all it's "cracked" up to be. Someone rear-ended me and instead of leaving a dent in the bumper it cracked and a chunk fell out.

Very reliable, other than routine maintenance, never really had any mechanical problems.

Also got great gas mileage.

Review Date: 9th February, 2006

2001 Saturn SC SC2 from North America

Summary:

This car is exactly what I wanted!

Nothing has gone wrong with the car as of yet.

General Comments:

I love this car.

I purchased it in December of 2005, used, from a large auto dealer in a nearby town.

Although the dealers themselves were either completely incompetent, or pushy or condescending, the car is fantastic.

It's a 4 cyl 1.8 manual transmission. The stick is easy to shift, and I have only owned one stick shift car previously, which was over 2 years ago.

When I purchased it, it had 62k miles on it and it is still in nearly perfect condition. Everything under the hood checks out, the paint still looks brand new, there are no dings or dents in the car and the interior was still in excellent condition.

All the windows, sunroof, cd, radio, mirrors, locks, remote entry are electronic and function with no problems.

The cabin is small, but what do you expect in a coupe? Happily, the third door makes it semi-convenient for passengers to ride in (the sloped roof isn't exactly comfortable for anyone over 5"5), and is great for shopping or traveling.

The trunk is actually quite spacious, and the back seats fold down for more storage room. I was able to fit a giant desk in the back/trunk easily, and no one expected it to fit into such a compact car.

I have had no mechanical difficulties with the car whatsoever.

All lights (incl. fog lights), windshield wipers, etc, function without problem.

For an economy car, it is actually quite speedy, whether passing another car, getting onto the freeway, etc. It is faster than my Mustang was (of course, the Mustang had many problems, and was a v6 not a v8).

I would definitely purchase another Saturn, and am very pleased with the cars styling, reliability and performance.

Who would have thought you could get such a great car for less than 9,000!

I'll be taking it on a trip across the state next weekend, if anything goes wrong, I'll update this review.

Review Date: 19th January, 2006

2001 Saturn SC SC2 1.9 from North America

Summary:

I will never buy an American car again

This car seems to have fell apart recently. The car was going smooth with the normal maintenance until this year when all hell has broken loose. The radiator has cracked, all of my bushings need to be replaced, the motor mounts collapsed, needed new breaks, and it just feels rickety if that's a good word. While I drive it it really feels like it's going to fall apart.

General Comments:

I don't like this car. I had a 1994 Saturn SL2 before this and it ran like a champ and still felt quality after 180k miles. This car feels like it's going to die at 70k. Saturn has started to use really cheap materials and the cars just don't feel like they used to. This seems like every American car as of late and my next purchase will either be a Honda or a VW.

Review Date: 14th December, 2005

15th Dec 2005, 07:57

I'm a big Saturn fan, but I sympathize with your experience. Lots of owners who previously had early models (like your '94) had more problems with later model years. I would encourage you to make the repairs to your current car... once corrected (and none of those repairs are THAT expensive) you will be happy to own it again.

As for trading it in on a Honda or VW--stay as far away from VW as possible. They are more trouble-prone and cost a mint to repair. Honda would be a better choice.

15th Dec 2005, 10:58

Please do your research on VWs before you buy. it could be even worse than this saturn...

12th Jun 2008, 23:09

I've had no problems yet, it's only been about a month. The only thing is, this car REALLY needs a rear windshield wiper!

7th Aug 2009, 13:34

I recently bought a 2000 model SC1 and it has tinted windows... I have close to zero rear visibility. I think I'd be blind with a rear wiper going as well.

27th Apr 2010, 00:33

Rear window wiper is a definite MUST, rain or snow, but I got a solution :) RAIN-X. It makes a good difference.

15th Aug 2013, 17:01

I agree about the Jetta advice. I had one, a 98. Love my 2001 SC2, which I bought two years ago.