2001 Saturn SC Reviews - Page 5 of 6

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.9 DOHC Automatic
Previous carMitsubishi Galant

Summary:

Pretty good car for the money

When I picked up the car, it wobbled on the highway. Saturn replaced a wheel, claiming it was out of round. This improved the ride, but there is still a small wobble on the highway.

Around 5000 miles, my car saw it's first downpour. Immediately after going through some small puddles, the transmission began causing problems. It seemed like the traction control was limiting my RPM's, even though I was not losing traction. The dealership had no clue what caused it and it went away after a few hours. Hasn't happened since.

The brake rotors became warped around 10,000 miles. I have taken it in to be looked at, but they haven't agreed to pay for it yet. They claim it is worn from normal use.

General Comments:

The car rides pretty well. The suspension needs to be tighter for a car that claims to be "sporty". Acceleration is lacking a bit also, and I think the manual would have been a better choice.

I would like to speed up the car, but several thousand dollars leaves the car below 150 horsepower. Not worth the money.

The seating is a slight problem. Don't plan on letting any grown individual sit in the back seat. I am of average height and I have to move the seat forward for my five year old nephew to fit in the back.

The third door is handy, but not usable when a car parks near the door. It swings opposite the front door, and is hard to get the door around you when near other objects.

Review Date: 20th June, 2002

14th May 2003, 00:12

Warped Rotors! Did you have the tires rotated? If so, did they use an air-wrench to put the lug nut back on the wheel. This is a common problem in warping the rotors - especially new rotors! Make your tire mechanics use your spare tire wrench to tighten lug nuts instead of an air-wrench and you most likely will never again have a warped rotor.

12th Jul 2003, 23:04

Yes, you should have bought the manual. I have driven a 2002 automatic and my 95' has way more kick. My car also has way more kick than a 2000 Z24 which I test drove. They have horrible acceleration, especially for a stick. Another thing, on those rotors, make sure you brake slowly and gradually; I see way too many people fly toward red lights and then slam on their brakes. Warpage is mainly caused by excess heat.

19th Aug 2004, 17:03

I have been driving for 33 years and was just blamed for my brake rotors being warped at 28,000 miles. It was at the Saturn dealership where I have religiously serviced my 2001 SL1. I am no longer confident that they are doing a good job. I read on-line that it could have been caused by them when they rotated the tires (and used an air wrench). any comments appreciated.

22nd Oct 2004, 14:50

I have a 2001 sc2 my wife and I bought new in June of 2000 and have not had a single problem of any kind with it. Besides routine maintenance, the only thing I have replaced is the battery, which died after four and a half years. Not bad for having to work in the Florida heat. Other than that, we carefully maintain it, do not beat on it, and always keep it garaged. I can't say I'd buy another one, but it does what we bought it for. It is reliable transportation for us and is very good on gas. Mark in Tampa.

2001 Saturn SC SC2 1.9 DOHC from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.9 DOHC Automatic
Previous carSaturn SW

Summary:

Is that only a 4 cylinder?

First, none of these problems have caused me to lose any respect for my car or manufacturer, I understand that there are always mechanical problems when making vehicles. **Passanger side window has a problem rolling up with the power window option. **Doesn't always eject CD's on the first try with in dash cd player. **Battery case cracked and spilled acid onto engine compartment, all was repaired at no cost to me. :)

General Comments:

The one biggest comment I get from all my friends is "is that only a 4 cylinder?" This car definately has speed, pickup and agile movement for such a low priced vehicle. A very fun car to drive and play with. I also go up to the mountains, so the folding rear seats make it easy to carry skis and snowboards.

Review Date: 22nd April, 2002