2002 Saturn SC 1 from North America

Summary:

Poorly designed, even poorer fit and finish.

At 55,000 KM axle seals replaced.

At 60,000 KM axle replaced.

At 30,000 KM alternator replaced.

General Comments:

Constant noise from dash, trunk lid, and general body.

Car sometime shifts roughly.

Ignition will lock if steering wheel is not centered.

Fuel pump runs for ad normally long period of time. Asked Saturn dealer and they said that is normal.

Idles rough in colder temperatures.

Review Date: 4th March, 2005

24th Mar 2005, 09:06

Yes, it idles rough in the cold, however, if you let it warm up, it runs great.

I have had mine now for 2 years, and it is wonderful, low, but wonderful.

5th May 2005, 08:20

"I too own a 2001 SC-2 and I agree with some of what you are saying, however, not with all. I have a noise coming from my dash, and I think it just needs to be tightened. "

Dash rattling has gotten worse, Saturn refuses to repair. Also, recently I had a body panel pop off. Saturn says its due to the cold weather.

"Yes, it idles rough in the cold, however, if you let it warm up, it runs great. "

The Rough idle never goes away once it warms up.

Maybe it's too cold where I live.

"I have had mine now for 2 years, and it is wonderful, low, but wonderful."

I guess I have lemon I wish I had a 1983 Omni instead.

12th Sep 2006, 17:13

I have a 2001 Saturn SC2, and they aren't the best cars (my opinion). I have two friends that have the very same cars and they are all in shops right now getting new automatic transmissions. Also if they are wrecked, they are automatically salvaged on the title. Maybe its just odd that our transmissions went out at the same time, but this car has pushed me away from buying another saturn for awhile.

2002 Saturn SC 1 1.9L SOHC L4 from North America

Summary:

This is a good looking, fun to drive, and fairly economical car

The Idle Air Control Valve had to be replaced, since it, at times, caused my engine to idle higher than usual.

General Comments:

This car gets great gas mileage on the freeway.

The seats offer firm support.

The polymer panes on the sides of the car help prevent dents.

The power window/mirror controls on the center console is nice.

The automatic transmission makes for average acceleration, yet like many automatics for 4 cylinder engines, is sometimes jerky.

The third door on the driver's side is very useful, whether it be used to load passengers or things. It is also a unique feature that you won't often find on coupes.

The car handles well on the freeway.

You can only fit two people in the back seat, since the center is taken up by a little console that has cup holders.

There are some minor build quality issues, but nothing to be concerned about.

It is noisy during hard acceleration, but quiets down at cruising speed.

Review Date: 12th September, 2004

2002 Saturn SC from North America

Summary:

A nice surprise

The only thing that I can say that has "gone wrong" with my car is that the little orange light above the AC button doesn't work all of the time. This may be a sign of loose wiring, but honestly, it's not something I'm super concerned with.

General Comments:

This is my first "new car". Since I have had a license I have had the old crap cars, you know, the hand-me-down from mom and dad. I bought the car a little over a month and a half ago and have been very pleased. It looks sporty enough; and mine is copper so it turns some heads!! (Keep in mind I'm a 20 year old girl; this is important!!) I also went through a really great dealer and I know that has helped a great bit. I have nothing bad to say about this car and must say, I have started to check out other Saturns for when I'm ready to get my next car.

Review Date: 12th July, 2004