1992 Saturn SL Reviews

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 1.9 Liter DOHC Automatic
Most recent distance200800 miles
Previous carToyota Tercel

Summary:

Great car, dependable and 30 mpg

Typical 1992 SL2 issues.

Burns 3/4 quart oil every 3,000 miles.

Rust along outer roof line and back door jams. This is a 20 year old car in a northern snowy state.

Alternator replacement at 140,000 miles.

Radiator cracked around driver's side trans axle fluid intake.

Tie rod ends at 190,000 miles.

Struts are going at 200,000 miles.

Brake pads and rotors.

New battery this winter after 7 years use of the old one.

General Comments:

I got this car with 103,000 miles on it in 2004. It now has 201,800 miles in 2011.

I have had typical "wear and tear" repairs on it. This car has never left me on the side of the road. I am driving it today.

It gets 30 miles to the gallon, city and highway. Air conditioning is painfully cold. And the engine purrs.

This is a fantastic car. I drive it fast, but I don't beat on it. If you want a 40,000 - 80,000 dollar car, go buy one. If you want an inexpensive car with good gas mileage that will keep running, this is the one to get.

Review Date: 5th September, 2011

1992 Saturn SL SL1 1.9 liter SOHC from North America

Year of manufacture1992
Engine and transmission 1.9 liter SOHC Manual
Distance when acquired220000 miles

Summary:

Dependable economical car

The following major components were replaced: alternator, water pump, fuel pump and engine coolant sender. I expected these components not to last 300,000 miles.

The car failed to pass California emissions due to high hydrocarbon emissions. I suspect this was due to low cylinder compression. Also suspect catalytic converter failure.

Maintenance items including spark plugs, air filter, oil filter, oil were also changed out.

Driver window crank failed to work. I had to hand position the window, which was embarrassing.

Car burned oil, but didn't smoke a bit.

Valve cover leaked oil.

The car was noisy at 65 mph. When driving slower, the noise levels were not bad. Must have been a combination of wind and road noise.

Interior was very basic.

General Comments:

This car has been great for me. I only sold it because it didn't have air conditioning and all wheel drive. If it had these, I would have rebuilt the engine so it could pass smog.

I have some backyard mechanic skills, and this car cost me a few hundred dollars a year to maintain. You get in and it starts, what more does somebody want? Only time it left me stranded was when the fuel pump went out, and that was my fault for not following preventative maintenance guidelines.

In addition to being dependable, it is very easy to work on. The engine is small and I could replace many components right in my own driveway without a lift. Changing the fuel pump was a little difficult I admit.

The car gets around 38 miles per gallon. Very inexpensive to operate! Car could also climb a 7% grade at 70 mph in 5th gear.

Remember these two things:

Saturns don't die, people kill them, so keep keep an eye on your oil level.

ECT! Engine coolant sender - if your car is running poorly and/or overheating, it is likely to be the ECT. Get it replaced.

Review Date: 9th October, 2010

1992 Saturn SL SL2 from North America

Year of manufacture1992
Distance when acquired120000 kilometres
Most recent distance208000 kilometres
Previous carDodge Caravan

Summary:

Cheap and fun to drive!

The transmission filter just developed a hole in it, and the transmission fluid ran out while my wife was driving it.

The tranny could have died, but the $108.00 replacement of the filter and fluid seems to have got it running again.

The alternator has gone a couple of times, and is awkward to replace.

The rear window has a metal brace in the middle that has rusted pretty badly.

The air conditioning has not worked since we got it.

General Comments:

We got it for our daughter who has now moved away. It has been a lot of fun to drive, the seats are comfortable, it is fairly fast and maneuverable, cheap on gas and reasonably free of problems. If you own one, replace the tranny filter NOW, before it goes. My wife never noticed it leaking, which happened very quickly, it started in our driveway and I followed her to where she had gone, and had it towed to a garage.

The plastic body doesn't rust, which is really nice. It has been a good little spare car.

My ratings are based on its price range; my Jag is a lot nicer, but a lot more to fix as well.

Review Date: 27th April, 2010