22nd Mar 2011, 09:42

I bought a 95 SL1 in 2003, I now have 185,000 miles on it.

The very first thing was overheating, CPU wasn't telling the fan to kick on, so now the fan is ran straight to the battery. Leaking both front doors, have replaced 3 tensioner pulleys, had head work done in 2007, goes through a lot of brakes, EGR valve replaced. It started kicking hard when you would go in reverse. I took it to the shop and told him to replace the transmission fluid, put blocks behind back tires, put car in reverse and let run for 30 minutes. It's called reverse slam and found it on the internet, Saturns usually have this.

You name it I have replaced it, but am looking for a different car, tired of it raining inside.

26th Jul 2013, 20:46

What kind of oil do you use? Synthetic blend or full synthetic, to be able to go 9 months between oil changes?

26th Mar 2014, 10:32

Sounds like it's your spark plugs.

18th Jul 2014, 01:33

I just happened on this site as I was searching for Saturn problems. I purchased a 95 SL1 new from the showroom in late 94... a four door standard... no frills. The only option was the cassette player.

This has been without a doubt the best car I have ever owned.

Now in 2014, the car has 485k on it and the only problem I ever had was the wipers quitting... the gearbox had seized up. Replaced that 7 years ago and have not had a problem since. It has never burned oil or ate anti-freeze. Replaced the clutch twice. I did above and beyond regular maintenance... changed the oil every 3000k, and brakes as needed etc.

This car got excellent gas mileage, and drove and handled well through all weather and road conditions during several trips from the Canadian west coast to eastern Canada, summer and winter.

I had to say good-bye to the car only after an idiot ran a red light and hit it hard. The airbags worked and there were no injuries (thank goodness).

I really do wish they still made Saturns. I would buy a new one tomorrow. Farewell to my old Saturn... it served me well.

16th Sep 2014, 15:20

I have the same problem; I think it's just the steering assist on the car.