1995 Saturn SL 1 1.9 SOHC from North America

Summary:

Very efficient, and even though things broke, it lasted a very long time

Cooling sensor, water pump, thermostat, and radiator cap after 80k. Slow oil usage started also.

Starter and ignition switch after 144k.

EGR valve after 150k.

Alternator after 187k.

Clutch after 195k.

Radiator after 226k.

Oil in water at 242,888 miles.

General Comments:

Most definitely a very good economy car. There is a lot more power than my 3 speed automatic 86 Sunbird previous to this car.

This car always started right up and used a little oil, which I guess is common in Saturns. I am surprised it lasted this long, especially with all the times it overheated when it needed cooling system work after 5 years of ownership.

I was told the oil in the water issue is common also in this engine; something in the head.

I'd only recommend buying this car if you know how to check fluids and do basic maintenance by yourself; the car is pretty easy to work on with some parts.

Review Date: 19th April, 2016

1995 Saturn SL SL2 1.9L twin cam from North America

Summary:

I've had nine years out of it so far

From 95,519 miles, first noticed the oil was a quart low, so had to put a quart of oil in every 1,500 to 2,000 miles.

133,007 miles, the clutch started slipping and went out for good at 134,322 miles. The car was towed, repaired in my backyard.

179,494 miles, due to owner's bad judgment, radiator started leaking, lost all coolant and the car overheated bad. The car was towed, repaired in my backyard by myself.

182,107 miles, cracked head possibly. The car almost overheated on the way home, but got there soon enough. There is oil in the cooling system.

General Comments:

Even though I have had these problems with the Saturn, it has still been a great vehicle to me. I have owned it for 9 years, and managed to get 30+ mpg with quick acceleration. The issues I have had are due to age for certain, I am going to repair the Saturn and drive it until I decide I want something different. This car is my daily driver compared to my SVX. More reliable than the Subaru for certain.

Review Date: 15th March, 2011

1995 Saturn SL 1 1.9L from North America

The only thing I ever had to repair on the 1995 Saturn SL was the alternator, exhaust pipe, and muffler.

Recently, about a year ago I've put only Shell V-tech gas highest octane. If there is no Shell available then BP will do.

The car has burned oil since I've owned it, but after it reached 150,000, it started burning more oil.

I have to change the spark plugs more often. Two of the spark plugs seemed to be always covered on oil. The car runs great though, I soon have to change the fuel filter and possibly do a really nice tune up to it.

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best oil to put into my car? I started with Valvoline Max-Life and then heard about fully synthetic and all the benefits for performance, but is it really a good option for my old engine? It is now at near 157,000 and I'd like to keep the car in shape.

Review Date: 9th January, 2010

1995 Saturn SL SL2 1.9 DOHC from North America

Summary:

This car was a great purchase for the 4000 mom paid, and 2000 I paid mom for it

When purchased @ 99,000, I noticed the trans slipping on the 3-4 shift, drove 2 years until 115.000, failed completely, $2200 to get reman'd.

Approx. 145.000, replaced upper motor mount.

158325 - 2 upper motor mount studs snapped off.

General Comments:

This has been a very dependable car with minimal work required, beyond oil changes every 3000.

Rides like it is glued to the road.

Review Date: 3rd December, 2009

1995 Saturn SL from North America

Summary:

If I did not write this car off, I would still own it today!

The seatbelt cover of the driver seat broke.

It had a strange EGR valve quirk. Carbon would build up in it and cause it to stall out.

Air bags did not go off in either of the front end collisions I was in.

General Comments:

Well laid out dash.

Good on gas.

Very easy to drive.

Darn near indestructible. You could kick the crap out of it and no dents. Small scale collisions caused no damage, and it took two front end collisions like a champ.

Review Date: 5th September, 2009