1995 Saturn SL from North America

I vote this car terrible

I'm 19 now, but I've had this car for 2 years. It's my worst enemy.

It has the driver's side leak in the front door.

It has terrible traction on wet roads.

The whole car rattles like crazy, I hate driving on the freeway because the whole car shakes once I hit 60. Now I just stay off the freeway as much as possible.

It has a serious oil problem, I have to add oil every week.

The back windows don't roll up, that's probably not too common though.

Transmission and coolant leaks, they've been replaced twice.

Had all the hoses replaced three times.

It bucks like crazy, especially when reversing.

The AC has been replaced too.

I think the only good thing about mine is the brakes.

General Comments:

I've put more money into repairing it than I've spent on school. So pretty much, this car goes to the repair shop more than I go to the doctor. Tired of wasting money on this piece of bologna, I'd rather buy burritos.

I have to wash all the antifreeze from my driveway all the time because I don't want to kill my cat.

Review Date: 2nd July, 2009

1995 Saturn SL from North America

Good car for the DIYer

I had a SC2, and now have an SL, both 95's... both have the same overheating problem, which believe it or not, I SOLVED!

If you currently have this problem, change the Engine Coolant Sensor, turns out it's a design flaw and they're all shot.

On the SL (my current), the starter went, it's a little over 75,000... pushing 76,000... otherwise, no problems to report with this one... as for my SC, as I said, I had the same overheating problem... my tension pulley froze up while driving on the highway, so the belt broke, and power steering pump exploded (yep, exploded, while driving), so that was replaced.

The power steering pump that was replaced, started leaking. Leaked onto the alternator, so both had to be replaced.

Valve cover gasket needed to be done (oil was getting into the spark plug holes)... top motor mount broke, then, cylinder died, motor was replaced, overheating started again, changed the sensor again, overheating stopped, got sick of the car and sold it.

General Comments:

Saturns aren't bad, there's a lot of design flaws, but all easy to get around.

The engine coolant sensor, the top motor mount, and the tension pulley are common problems with these cars, so keep that in mind.

Review Date: 28th March, 2009

1995 Saturn SL SL2 4 cylinder from North America

Won't buy another one

Unpredictable oil consumption (OK for 100 miles. then in next 100 may drop 1, sometimes 2 qts.)

Spark plug wires at 30,000 miles.

Frame support for the right front wheel completely rusted out. (all Saturn owners, especially 1995, should have their front end / frame checked)

Review Date: 20th March, 2009

1995 Saturn SL SL2 1.9 DOHC from North America

Love it a lot, can't wait to mod it some more

My first Saturn was a first gen 91 SL2 that was in horrible condition, but the price was well below KBB, so I bought it, replaced the entire suspension and the head gasket. Oh and I bought that one with 116000 miles on it, but other than that, just your usual wear and tear.

General Comments:

I have loved both my Saturns. My 95 is my favorite since it is a 5spd and the engine only had 60000 on it, and the body had 90000.

Yes it consumes oil, oh well, the oil consumption is mostly from the breather and PCV valve, and over time the valve seals let oil pass through, but other than that, my Saturns have never left me stranded, except when I knew I needed an alternator and just did nothing LOL oops.

The interior had no rattles until I upgraded the stereo hehe, and have added a few performance goodies that have also increased its MPG. Yes, that's right, replaced the intake with a better one.

Needless to say, I love my Saturns, they are great reliable cars. Just take good care of them, and if you buy a used one, beware that if it wasn't taken care of, it will be a hassle in all honesty.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2009