1995 Saturn SL SL2 1.9L DOHC 4 cylinder from North America

Practical and very affordable to own, and I would not hesitate to buy another new Saturn

Right front stabilizer at 170,000 miles ($400).

Alternator at around 145,000 miles ($200).

Complete exhaust system at around 160,000 miles ($400).

General Comments:

As you can see by the list of repairs, this car has been cheap to own and drive. $1000 in repairs over 13 years is less than $80 per year! 178,000 miles and I've never had a breakdown.

The above list doesn't include normal wear and tear items like brakes, oil changes and tires. It's been very reliable, and even with 178,000 miles, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it across country.

Great fuel economy (over 30mpg).

The worst problem is that my cracked windshield is EXPENSIVE to replace. The estimate is near $500 installed. I've been told the reason for this is GM won't license aftermarket production, and it's a windshield that has to be purchased mounted in a sealed frame.

It's by no means a luxury cruiser, but it's comfortable enough for me to drive it 90 miles a day. The interior has held up well.

The hood, doors and trunk open and close like new. Door handles and hinges in good shape. The paint and finish are fantastic and the exterior looks brand new when washed and waxed.

Some wind noise, but like I said, it's not a luxury cruiser.

Review Date: 3rd January, 2009

1995 Saturn SL 1 1.9 SOHC L24 from North America

You get what you pay for and this car was worth every penny

Uses lots of oil

Engine smokes

Windows leak when exposed to ice or rain

Dome light fell off.

General Comments:

This car is not pretty. I took ownership of this car after my girlfriend bought a brand new Scion TC. She had this car for 7 years, beat on it, did not take care of it, let her friends eat, drink and smoke in it, scraped it, let other people drive it and run into things and basically turned it into a clunker. To top it off, she bought Mobil 1 synthetic and added it without knowing the difference.

I purchased the car to use during the winter while my VW Golf sat in the garage. I paid $300 and it had been worth every penny. You cannot kill this car. I recently did an entire brake job for $320 and will switch to synthetic soon. The car's interior is totally destroyed but I still love this car. I don't know why!

Review Date: 23rd November, 2008

1995 Saturn SL from North America

Great economy and performance!!!

Other than the normal wear and tear (brakes, tires etc):

Radiator at 250,000 (not bad).

The rack and pinion went at 394,000 (approx), and broke just like the ones that were listed on the recall. Broke with no warning, causing a total lack of steering control. (luckily, no accident and lived to tell about it). Since the car's VIN was not one of the numbers that were listed on the recall, Saturn could, or should I say, would not do anything. It wasn't that it wore out and broke... but the fact that it broke without warning!!!

This is totally UNACCEPTABLE in any vehicle, since it is usually a matter of life and death! So, if you have a 1995 Saturn, make sure to have your rack and pinion changed!!! Your life is worth the expense... even if Saturn does not think so!

General Comments:

Best car I have ever had. Change the rack and pinion and you could not have a better vehicle for economy and performance... bar none.

Do not economize on safety... Change the rack and pinion even if it is not one of the ones listed on the recall. Saturn cheaped out and obviously only fixed 75 of the racks...and evidently MORE were affected.

The Saturn Assistance line is fantastic, as long as you are not requesting anything or need information.

Once this is fixed, you have an absolutely great and economical car!!!

Review Date: 11th November, 2008