2001 Seat Leon Reviews

2001 Seat Leon S 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Model year2001
Previous carCitroen Saxo

Summary:

I would never buy from Seat again

All 4 coils have gone and had to be replaced.

Leaking door seals with 3 inches of water every time it rains in all four foot wells.

Engine management light constantly on.

EC warning light flashes on and off.

Starting problems.

Car stalls at stand still.

General Comments:

The car when first brought was a lovely car. Within 6 months and out of warranty, the first coil broke. From then on the car has been breaking down regularly.

I also then developed the issue with leaking doors, which Seat told me was the pollen filter, which has been rectified around 4 times now.

I told today that it's the doors seals and have been quoted £215 to repair along with a broken map sensor and AGR valve, which is causing the poor fuel consumption and running of this car.

My frustration is I have battled with Seat for the last 2.5 years on this, and nobody until now has dealt with the problems.

I have two young children who have to sit in the wet and stinky car daily. It's a disgrace.

Review Date: 14th November, 2008

2001 Seat Leon S 1.4 16v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 1.4 16v Manual

Summary:

Excellent car! Best thing I spent my money on!

There is water leaking into the foot wells, neither myself or the dealer can get to the bottom of it.

General Comments:

The Leon is a great car, there have been no problems except the water leakage, which shouldn't be too much of a problem because the dealer is falling head over heels to get to the bottom of it.

It's a gorgeous looking car, with a coupe shaped body.

The interior is very classy, and the seats are very comfortable and hugging.

Its engine pulls very well and doesn't slouch around.

I'm going to keep mine for as long as it will last.

Review Date: 22nd October, 2008

23rd Oct 2008, 10:15

Water leakage into the footwells is a common problem on the Leon/Golf.

My guess is that when the pollen filter was replaced, the housing was not re-seated correctly.

Ask your mechanic to check it out.

2001 Seat Leon S 1.9 90BHP turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Model year2001
Engine and transmission 1.9 90BHP turbo diesel Manual
Previous carRenault Megane

Summary:

VERY well built car, interior matches an A3 and it costs £3,500 less to buy!!

Nothing - the only money I have had to spend in the 3 years of ownership and over 50,000 miles I have done, has been the cost of having the cam belt changed, a set of new tires, and a set of new brake pads.

VAG make EXCELLENT turbo diesels.

General Comments:

The car is fairly slow as standard (12.4 seconds to 60), however, shortly after purchasing I had angeltuning to do an ECU remap, which has reduced this figure to under 10 seconds.

This remap COMPLETELY transformed the car, the in-gear acceleration is phenomenal and the fuel economy is still in the region of 45-50mpg, even if you hoof it.

Remapping the ECU of a VAG diesel gives astonishing results, a rolling road confirmed that the power output had increased from 89bhp to 121bhp, and that torque was up by 60lb/ft!

In terms of comfort, the interior bears a close resemblance to the Audi A3 - I have driven over 22,000 miles per year in this car and I have never been uncomfortable. There is very little road noise when traveling at speed and the only time you can hear that it is a diesel power plant is when idling at traffic lights. Also worthy of note is that the speakers are phenomenal.

If I was to pick a niggle with this car, it would be the handling - the suspension is a bit too soft to handle the extra power from the remap, and as a result, it doesn't corner as well as a Golf.

Overall, I loved this car, however, I hate the look of the new model Leon and this was the main reason I have just bought a VW Golf GT TDi 170.

I would highly recommend Seat though, the dealer service was excellent and the car has been fantastically reliable and fun to drive (albeit after spending the £275 on a remap).

Review Date: 21st August, 2008