2001 Seat Leon Reviews - Page 8 of 14

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 1.8 petrol - turbocharged Manual
Previous carVauxhall Astra

Summary:

Fantastic value for money

Several visits to the dealer to sort out the front suspension - loud, "clunking" noises. Eventually rectified with new anti-roll bar and various other bits & pieces.

Coil packs have failed on two separate occasions - 4500 & 9000 miles. Due another one soon?!

Quality of paint-work (metallic grey) not too clever - chipping like mad.

General Comments:

Good performance, but not as impressive as I was expecting. Also has problems putting down the power in 1st & 2nd, especially in the damp. Traction control isn't exactly subtle either.

Respectable handling, but not a patch on the (2000) Astra SXi that went before it - jeez, can't believe I just wrote that.

Supremely comfortable - fantastically equipped at the price. Forget the hot hatch tag - but as a spacious, refined method of covering distances at a fair old lick, it cannot be beaten at the price.

Review Date: 9th May, 2002

10th May 2002, 04:34

I think the Seat Leon Cupra car looks really cool and has really good colours. The car has a really good price.

2001 Seat Leon S 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Year of manufacture2001
Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Good build quality except for water leakage problems

Water incursion onto sills of front doors.

A few annoying rattles - one from the interior light which does not sit firmly, one I think from the CD autochanger.

No other problems to date.

General Comments:

Generally, very pleased with the car so far (9 months, 13000 miles), except for the above mentioned problems.

Judging distance through the rear windscreen is difficult, as it is so high up, making it a little tricky to reverse.

Comfortable and very quiet engine.

Fuel economy is in accordance with official figures (46-50mpg)

Review Date: 6th May, 2002

14th Jun 2002, 04:37

It seems the water leakage problem is common with this model. My brother bought a new one last year and its been in to the dealer twice for different leaks. I have also read an article in Auto Express about this problem. However, I am still rather tempted by the Cupra VT, hence why checked this site, it's a great guide for potential buyers.

12th Jan 2003, 17:21

I have had my Leon 1.6s from new in august (6000ml so far) and have had no water leaks or strange light combinations occur "so far".However a 2ft long piece of plastic has fallen from above the radiator, my local dealer has had some problems getting a replacement part that is not already broken, and when they did they broke it fitting it! STILL WAITING FOR ANOTHER PART. Apart from this car is great to drive and pretty Good on Fuel.

12th Jul 2003, 14:33

Seat Leon Signo 2001 driver, love the car, but confirm the problem with back doors leaking. It took my dealer 3 visits to admit I had a leak - despite fogging windows, wet floor and a smelly car! Got my doors re-lined with plastic - they tried just re-sticking the plastic, but that didn't work so they eventually re-lined them. Cost me plenty as my local garage had purchased the car for me via a dealer who has since given up the dealership! Having said all this I DO LOVE THE CAR!

10th Sep 2008, 08:37

I bought My Seat Leon Stella 1.4 16v from a friend who updated. I was aware of the water entering the car but found out that what causes it is a build-up of wax from washing (particularly steam washing and waxing units) which blocks the small holes designed for the water to leak off outside the car. What happens is that this builds up and enters the car. If you insert your finger under the bottom of the door seal you should feel the holes and ensure they are unblocked. One way out the the leaks is to keep the car in a garage or underground parking area if possible which I luckily have access to. Otherwise great car, great sound system and great drive.