2001 Subaru Forester Reviews - Page 6 of 14

2001 Subaru Forester S 2.5 N-A Gas Powered from Japan

Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 2.5 N-A Gas Powered Automatic
Previous carSubaru Outback

Summary:

The car is a dream come true

Head Gasket failed at 90K no overheating was able to catch it in time to get it to the dealership for a rebuild.

3 sets of tires since 60K, (performance tires up gas mileage)!!

3 sets of Brakes as well since 60K.

Replaced O2 Senor at 78,342.

General Comments:

The Car is a dream, yes it is an expensive devil to work on, but the car is a CHICK MAGNET! I have the Sedona Red color and with a pair of polarized sunglasses on the paint appears to change shade, its sick! People spend the money and time to take care of your Subaru and it will take care of you, thier tough, but not indestructible!

Review Date: 22nd October, 2007

2001 Subaru Forester S 2.5L from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission 2.5L Automatic
Most recent distance120000 miles
Previous carJeep Comanche

Summary:

A great car, but..

Sun roof opening mechanism failed at 60,000 miles.

Radiator cracked due to coolant leak in head gasket at 80,000 miles.

Rear wheel bearings replaced at 100,000 miles. Probably failed at 50,000 miles.

Back lights on radio have all failed.

Clock failed.

Windshield wiper drive arm failed at 100,000 miles.

General Comments:

I really like my Forester. It handles well, is relatively quick for a big car, is quiet on the highway, and gets respectable highway mileage.

What I don't like are the unusual, and expensive things that have failed. The power sunroof opening drive failed at 60,000 miles. The dealer said that there was no fixing it, so they had to replace the whole unit. ($800) I love the huge sun roof, but I don't know if I would get another one.

The head gaskets failed under warranty, but their failure caused a coolant leak which overheated the car and cracked the radiator. I was charged for a new radiator, but not installation. Since the car was torn apart anyway, I had them replace the timing belt. ($1,000)

The rear wheel bearings failed at some point, but the noise wasn't unbearable until 90,000 miles. ($600)

Crappy Yokohama tires don't last worth a damn. I put on some cheap Toyos and they have been great.

All of the lights on the radio have failed along with the clock. New clock: $80.00!

The windshield wiper drive arm bearing failed. Dealer wanted $35 for new arm and $100 installation. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and picked up a pack of Help! wiper arm bushings for $3.00 and fixed it myself in 15 minutes.

Who is the retard that designed the motor pan cover that must be removed to change the oil/filter? It is a royal pain to remove/replace.

The cup holders are not very rugged, and they allow condensation to drip onto/into the radio.

Review Date: 27th August, 2007

4th Aug 2010, 18:08

I love my 2000 Forester S.

The design of the cup holder is simple and functional. What I don't like is the location of it, where the spill may get into the radio components.

The plug for the engine oil pan and the oil filter can be removed through an access opening provided in the plastic guard.

2001 Subaru Forester from North America

Year of manufacture2001
Previous carOldsmobile Cutlass

My 2001 Forester is a real disappointment to me. Both front boots have needed to be replaced. First time at 50,000 and now at 70,000. Is this a design flaw? I have owned all GM cars previous to this one and have never experienced this type of expense within these short time frames. Is Subaru going to issue a recall or refund? At this rate I will trade off the car much sooner than planned and purchase a non-Subaru vehicle.

Review Date: 16th August, 2007

2001 Subaru Forester s from North America

Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carSubaru Forester

Summary:

A good, safe car despite known mechanical pitfalls

General Comments:

I'm about to purchase a 2001 S with 106,000 miles on it. I'm concerned about some of the complaints I've read here. I'm fully aware of the wheel bearing problems as I owned a '99 S previously. On this model the head gasket, seals and clutch were just replaced so I'll take my chances. But not one reviewer has mentioned the best feature of this car, which is its crashworthiness. My daughter totaled the last Forester we had by wrapping the front end around a tree, crumpling the entire front end. But she and her 4 friends escaped without a scratch. An earlier side impact crash caused substantial body damage, but again no injuries. This is why I'm going to buy another Forester, despite the known mechanical problems I may encounter.

Review Date: 11th July, 2007