1994 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon 2.0 turbo from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Nice cars, but beware of maintenance

Engine block was cracked. "Certified dealer" was out of business by then, but the warranty covered half the cost.

Same time, it had a transmission rebuild.

Ignition needed changing.

Power steering needed a rebuild.

Various sensors needed changing. Knock sensor broke down 4 times, water temperature sensor broke down twice.

CV boots and joints kept breaking every year.

AC stopped working (re gas... this is not something tragic).

CD stacker broke down.

General Comments:

Car itself was not bad. It felt very solid on the road, and it felt good driving it. Plenty of power across the revs. Handling was not bad either. You could feel it is a heavy car, but pushing it into corners, you could get the feel of what it was about to do.

Interior was very well built, with good materials. I don't remember anything breaking inside at any given time. The semi-bucket seats were comfy and solid.

But overall, it needed high maintenance to even be usable. There was always something wrong with it. If it was not electrical, it was mechanical etc etc. Think more money than the car's value was spent on this thing across these few years. Also, the boxer engine is not like any other conventional engines, so you need to know what you are doing if you don't want to pay someone else.

Overall, I would buy another Legacy, but I would pay more attention at what I am buying. These cars are fast, and often are given a lot of abuse by owners. If buying second hand, just make sure it is treated properly, and when you do own it, try not to hammer it every time you see an open road, and it will last. This car was driven by another family member, who didn't really know what to do with it, and how to treat it. Other cars were fine in her hands though.

Review Date: 13th January, 2011

1994 Subaru Legacy GT Twin Turbo 2.0 twin turbo from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Best, most reliable, fast, most practical car I have ever owned!

NOTHING!!

General Comments:

Out-accelerated a new Audi Quattro on the M1... this car is a 94! WTH!!

Quite simply the best most reliable, fast, most practical car I have ever owned at the BEST purchase price (£2.8k).

I now live in Canada, and I contrast the North American reviews with those of us who have owned imported Subarus in the UK! What does this mean? It means that when these things get touched by North American hands, they screw them up with a focus on profit/lowest cost and built to fail - not reliability. How else can all the non North American reviews say they are great? I am one of them! ANSWER - BUY A GREY IMPORT MADE IN JAPAN, NOT ONE MADE IN THE US!!

Review Date: 15th September, 2010

19th Nov 2010, 02:44

Amen to that. I also had a Japanese import 1994 twin turbo, and it too was one of the best cars I had ever owned. Awesome torque for easy cruising, and great handling as well. I recently bought a non-turbo Subaru Legacy 2.5L, and I must say I miss the old one desperately.

It's amazing how much more refined the turbo engine is, not to mention the power difference.

1994 Subaru Legacy GT 2.2 sequential twin turbo from North America

Summary:

Fun and functional, but not very pretty

Engine valve gaskets (not head gasket) started to leak 2,000kms ago.

Massive transmission fluid leak (to the car's credit, it was probably the people who did my transmission fluid flush.)

General Comments:

Great car. As an introductory note, I imported this on from Japan, and its papers said it was all stock.

It's a great blend of a fun car to drive and practical car to have for around town. The large amount of trunk room and AWD lets me carry lots of stuff through anything. Which is great for camping trips or trips to the office through rain and mud. Can fit an entire surfboard, and then drive right onto the beach.

Also one excellent road trip car if you can handle the less than comfortable back seats (the front seats are bucket seats that are really comfortable but can get tedious on long drives). It sticks to the road, and is meant to be driven quickly around corners.

The MOMO steering wheel is a nice touch on a station wagon.

A major plus for me was the visibility; more and more cars tend to make windows small and/or higher cutting into operational visibility. This car's window placement allows for great visibility.

My model is a wagon, so it doesn't turn any heads as I drive. But while it's a wagon, it does not act like it. This car can rocket off the line with its first turbo, then (after an annoyingly long turbo lag from 2,500-5,000) give you a second breath with its second turbo. I've taken this car up to 175 km/h before the limiter stopped it, but I've been told that without the limiter and with a few modifications, the car can achieve 250km/h. This wagon feels like it aspires to be a sports car, and it leaves you with a feeling as if you could beat Porsche. You can't, but it leaves you with a feeling of invincibility and unnoticed potential.

The only remarkable thing is that it is lowered, which makes going down a logging road or too fast over a speed bump an issue. I've noticed not all of them are lowered, but this one is and it is far too low. The engine noise permeates the cabin, which can be annoying. As for fuel efficiency, whatever hope of efficiency it may have had is destroyed by the turbos. A 45lt tank in the city usually buys me between 370-400kms (I use the turbos more than I really should though). Compared to the SUVs my fellow North Americans use, it actually has decent fuel efficiency. Compared to a Civic hatchback or a Corolla, it drains gas.

Also, the bonnet scoop is hideous (IMO). The car is also rather unimpressive looking from the outside.

Overall, a great car especially if you have an active lifestyle, and love being thrown back in your seat when you hammer down on the gas pedal.

Really fun car to ride with.

Review Date: 26th August, 2010