Best model sedan Toyota ever made
Nothing has gone wrong, but got few minor things done which is part of general maintenance and the previous owner's neglect - listed below:
- Cam belt and water pump as there was no history.
- Fuel cap had a broken spring when I bought it, so got that fixed.
- One roof rubber was missing, now replaced.
- Changed spark plugs to NGK platinum.
Superbly awesome creation by Toyota.
- Looks very smart and sharp for its year.
- Enough power from a family/sport sedan (whatever you wanna call it :P).
- One of the best due to most cool stuff provided from the factory.
- Exceptionally nice interior for the time and year. Speedo is like an expensive watch.
- Solid ride and factory shock provides firm ride quality.
- Great handling with rear wheel drive.
- Top reliability.
- Fuel economy is reasonable for what you get out of that engine (Remember: all efficient cars go through lots of tune ups, so more chance for things to go wrong).
- Even over a decade later, it still looks great, and better than many.
- Seating position is great.
- Lots of power when overtaking.
- Very sporty, unlike the smooth AS200 with less power.
- Road noise.
- Leg room at the back can be limited if the driver or front passenger is tall.
- Fuel economy is moderate (not bad really, but OK).
- Tiptonic/Auto shifts gear a wee bit early sometimes.
- Not uncommon to see the boot leaking.
- Factory CD error is also a common fault.
- Not as smooth as an AS200
Overall, it is an amazing car, but it's getting harder to find a decent RS200 due to boy racers trashing them and highly modifying them. Managed to buy one from a girl who had it since it arrived NZ, and the only mod done to it was a TRD exhaust, so I can live with it.
I would highly recommend this car, even though it's old, but if my budget is under or within 10k - I’d get it in a heartbeat, provided it has been kept factory and was not a trashed sample.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 12th March, 2014