2001 Toyota Altezza RS200 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Nice car, but lacks low end performance

I drove 3 of these before buying 1, and found 2 out of 3 had flat spots. I replaced the air flow meter in mine, which improved but did not eliminate the problem. I think the throttle body needed replacing to totally eliminate it.

General Comments:

Car looked great with its full factory bodykit and mesh grille.

It handled really good too. Had tonnes of grip with the factory 17s. Really couldn't see why it had traction control.

Performance above 4700 RPM (where VVTi kicked in) was good, but under this it was lacking a bit, and was especially slow off the mark / under 2000 RPM. This is due to it having an electronic throttle body, which in the Altezza's case takes away the responsiveness. Fine to thrash around the hills, but not much fun in start stop traffic.

The gearbox was nice and smooth changing, but the gear ratios were stupidly low, and this made it use a lot of fuel for a 2.0L 4 cylinder. At 100kph I recorded 4800 RPM in fourth gear, 3700 in fifth gear, and 3300 in 6th.

Review Date: 29th June, 2012

2001 Toyota Altezza RS200Z 2.0 I4 from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Great car and good quality. It's not a rocket ship (stock), but it's well worth the bucks!

One sparky, and that's it.

General Comments:

All round good runner. I had this car after my Audi A3, which was too small for me, and the car before was an Accord euro.

Although the car is 5 years older than the first Accord Euros, I think it holds itself really good compared to the Euro. It's not as fuel efficient as the Accord Euro, not as smooth or comfy, but something with its handling and RWD just makes me wanting to have this car more and more.

Review Date: 13th May, 2010

1999 Toyota Altezza RS200 2.0 4 cylinder petrol from Australia and New Zealand

Summary:

Reliable real wheel drive fun

Diff seal started leaking, minor fix at the dealer.

CD stacker jammed - very common fault with these cars.

General Comments:

Great car, extremely reliable and great on fuel for the performance offered.

Probably a nicer car to drive as an automatic, but over to personal choice.

Big boot, looks great even as a 12 year old shape, and now great value for money.

Don't buy a Camry or even a Corolla sedan, get one of these.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2010

6th Mar 2010, 01:05

Agree with the fact that they look great for a 10 year old car. That's about it. We had an AS200 auto. The performance was poor, the auto was hopeless... It really did look good though. Oh we had the CD problem too and a rear suspension bush failure. 1800 dollars to fix that... not the cheap and reliable Toyota of old that's for sure.

17th Apr 2011, 10:38

I hear the RS200 is slow, but is 0-100kph in 7.5sec slow? I reckon it ain't too bad.

Another thing is the fuel consumption, I hear it's horrible, how many km's do you get per litre when driving normally? Can this car be used on a day to day basis?

5th Jul 2012, 23:10

It is fine if you take traction control off, hold the revs up, let out the clutch, and kane it to near the red line. But it's when you drive it more normally that you see how the performance in these is lacking.

5th Jul 2012, 23:16

Oh, and the fuel economy of my 6 speed RS200 was 11-11.5L per 100km city driving (mainly to and from work), so not good at all really.

16th Jul 2012, 21:58

I have a manual 2000 Altezza. Full tank is 60L. Fuel warning light comes on at 50L @ 500km. This is mixed driving. Highway driving without speeding will give you 550km - 600km on 50L.

Only problem I've encountered so far is the stuck CD changer, and the throttle body needs to be cleaned every 10k km. Otherwise, it's a solidly built car. 12 years old, no sound coming from the outside. Only a small cricket living in the air conditioning. But at this age, what is there to complain about?

31st Aug 2014, 04:41

Not sure where most review comments come from, but certainly people with financially tight positions. I have one and I think it's brilliant on fuel. An RS200 auto does about 8L to 100km on the open road, and in town between 10-12L. A car with this performance is not meant to give Honda Jazz fuel economy.