1999 Toyota Camry XLi 2.2L, 4 Cylinder. from United Arab Emirates
An excellent family sedan
1. Due to the extreme heat in this country (i.e. 45+ degrees Celsius), the car's headliner had completely unglued itself over a 6-year period. This cost me US$ 80/- to fix at a local garage. It looks absolutely perfect now.
2. The fabric from the front passenger door is also detaching itself. Once again, due to excessive heat build-up in the vehicle.
And that, ladies and gents, is it. These are the only things that have gone wrong with the car.
I bought this ‘99 Camry XLi in 2005, and I've driven 20,000 Kms so far. This brings the odometer reading to 158,000 Km (100,000 Miles approximately).
What do I think of this vehicle, thus far?
1. Under the hood, things have been ultra-reliable.
2. The engine is quite smooth for a relatively small unit.
3. Maintenance costs are very reasonable for a mid-sized sedan. Toyota spares are extremely easy to find in the local market. Every single auto store carries them.
4. The seats are fairly comfortable and supportive.
5. Power is more than sufficient from the 4-cylinder engine, especially when taking into account good fuel economy. In my opinion, Toyota's got the balance just right with this 2.2 Liter rig.
6. Air Conditioning is great.
7. Safe car. Solidly built.
8. It's great to have dual air bags. (This is not a mandatory requirement in the UAE, and as such, not all lower-spec cars are equipped with dual air bags).
9. Controls and dials are logically positioned and easy to see/access.
1. The transmission is not as smooth with up-shifts, as I'd like.
2. Steering feel is a little heavy/vague.
3. The brakes aren't bad, but I think Toyota should have put in stronger ones, to offset the weight of the car.
4. Quite a lot of wind noise from window seals.
Advice to potential buyers:
If you're looking for a safe, reliable and economical 4-door, then a 4-cylinder Camry comes highly recommended. However, the 6-cylinder would be a better choice for those who need a little more oomph. And if that still isn't enough to satisfy the racer in you, then get yourself a Nissan Maxima; it's got a wonderful, multi-award-winning engine, better suspension, great brakes and more room inside.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 27th June, 2006