2008 Toyota Camry XLE 3.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

This is a well rounded car, as long as you get a good one

I really love my Camry, but it has not been trouble free. On cold starts the engines knocks. It happens intermittently. My dealership is currently investigating the problem.

Updated 28th September 2009:

The paint on the front bumper is pitted, I think it's pretty bad considering the age of the car.

General Comments:

The car is the most comfortable, quiet and powerful vehicle I have ever rode in.

Styling is a little bland but I like it, I really don't try to stand out from the crowd too much.

The sound system is awesome.

I could drive this car all day and have no back pain, this is a first for me.

My previous car was a complete disappointment (02 VW Jetta), I love this car, but with the engine knocking I am worried that Toyotas aren't built as well as they once were. I had a 97 Camry that was bullet-proof, but this one has me worried!

Updated 28th September 2009:

I have had the car for another year now and put 24,000 miles on it since I bought it. It still knocks on cold starts, but when it is warmed up it is quiet. Dealer can't find anything wrong with it. I have done a little research and found that this knocking is normal for a high compression engine? Anyway it continues to run perfect besides that. I get over 30 MPG on the highway.

I read reviews on this site that scared me right after I purchased my car, and that is probably why I was so paranoid about the sound on cold starts.

I would recommend this car to anyone.

Review Date: 23rd September, 2008

3rd Jan 2009, 00:14

I like the review title, but it begs the question, just WHERE do get a GOOD Camry??

8th Jan 2009, 23:44

To answer your question:

At the "GOOD CAMRY STORE" of course!

10th Jan 2009, 13:10

The Camry sucks. The brakes don't do much, then suddenly after you hit a certain level they get grabby.

The car is hard to park and I still can't get a sense of its size.

The steering is loose on center and has 0 road feel, way less than modern American cars.

The entire car is dull, dull, dull. More dull than an 80's Buick. Interior plastics are about the worst in class. I prefer the Malibu, Fusion interior.

The only bright spot is the V6 engine, which makes excellent power and sounds like a turbine. Though the Camry platform kills the sportiness of the engine.

I hate this car though; it's a promise unfulfilled. I just can't get my head around how irritatingly bland this car is.

2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid from North America

Summary:

Trustworthy, reliable, economical everyday car

Nothing as of yet.

General Comments:

This is my first hybrid after looking into them for several years. I shouldn't have waited so long. Some people think you are missing out on comfort of features in a hybrid vehicle. This is absolutely not the case with a Camry hybrid. This car is loaded, it has everything from a great sound system to bluetooth phone capability.

I am really liking the car more than I thought I would. I am getting 38mpg in a combination of city and highway driving. I can go 550 or so miles on a tank. Every time I fill it up, I literally can't remember the last time I did.

Is this an absolutely perfect car? No, but it's darn close.

The CVT transmission takes some getting used to, it sounds different then a regular trans, there is nothing wrong with it, it is just not what you're used to.

At first, getting used to the hybrid technology and how it works takes some getting used to, but after a short while you will just forget about it and drive the car as you would any other.

The car is kind of plain looking, but it's a Camry, not a Porsche.

I would recommend this car to anyone who is looking for an everyday reliable, comfortable car that gets excellent mileage.

Review Date: 12th June, 2008

25th Aug 2008, 21:48

To call a car "trustworthy" and "reliable" after owning it for less than a year is a real stretch, especially with a Camry (which has been noted for unreliability and has been dropped from some "recommended" lists). My experience with imports has shown them to be anything but "trustworthy" and "reliable". I hope your Camry is the very rare exception to the rule.

Update us in a couple of years after your $3000 battery packs fail and you've been out $10,000 for a transaxle replacement (there is an Internet article on this).